Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling Dexters - advice needed!  (Read 1904 times)

HelenPye

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Anglesey, North Wales
    • Llais Aderyn
Selling Dexters - advice needed!
« on: April 18, 2020, 01:36:09 pm »
Hi there,

Looking for some advice and ideas.

We have a herd of lovely Shetlands and two Dexter heifers. A few months ago we decided to go all out Shetland rather than mixed herd, for various reasons - mainly so that it made breeding easier, but also because the two breeds have never seemed to quite gel together (are Cows breedist I wonder??   ::))

Anyway, since then we've had no luck with trying to sell the two Dexter heifers, to be fair I've not put huge amounts of effort in - they've been on various Facebook groups and on Pre-loved. We were going to take them to the rare-breed auction in Bryncir (we're on Anglesey), but that's been cancelled due to Covid. My last option would be to take them to slaughter, but I think they might be too old...?

They are as follows:
Haf: Female Dexter. Short legged. DOB 01.05. 2012(7yrs old)
Medi: Female Dexter. Long legged. DOB 02.06.2011(8 yrs old)
Although they are pedigree they've not been registered as such.
I had them on for £400 each and was offering local delivery in North Wales area. They've both been running with our Shetland bull, and are trained to a bucket.

How easy do people find to sell cattle? Any tips? Am I asking to much for them? What options would you go for or try next?

Thoughts. ideas, experiences gladly received :)

Helen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Selling Dexters - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:49:41 pm »
My view is that you shouldn't send anything to slaughter that might be pregnant.

I don't know how Dexter prices go but these are 7 and 8 years old but never calved, unregistered - I think £400 is a bit steep frankly. Other may disagree - thsi is really a gut feeling.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:57:03 pm »
Yup, as Rosemary says. 7 and 8 years old, never calved - you couldn’t pay me to have them, frankly. 

And I think I’ve read that with Dexters, people generally have either all long-legged (which are more popular) or all short-legged.  But I could be wrong about that. 

Cow meat is fine, just needs long slow cooking and lots of skimming the fat off.

So if I were in your position I would take them away from the bull and get them PD’d.  At their ages and never calved, it’s very likely they are not in calf anyway.  Then send them off for stewing meat, pot roasts, burgers etc. 

If they are in calf you really need someone experienced to take them, being maidens at those ages.  Or calve them yourselves and sell them with calves at foot. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:19:18 pm »
As Sally says... but you may find it tricky to get a vet to Pd them at the mo with all the social distancing. If you have a crush it will be easier but you might have to wait until rules are relaxed. Ring your vet practice and see what they say. If you get them PD empty and don’t want to eat them yourself your local abattoir should take them and buy them off you- but probably won’t give you very much for them.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:46:09 am »
why haven't they been bred before?   

I have Dexters and Shetlands and breed both via AI.  first time to own breed and now put both to AA …. produces great steers for meat.  They do tend to prefer their own kind and have quite different characters but do make a herd.

I struggled to sell registered Dexter heifers at 2 years for £350 ……  hence I started crossing.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 01:39:06 pm »
Everything sells at the right price. As mentioned - you are  asking too much. I have a Dexter cow of similar age who calves every year and would only ask £450 for her with a well grown Hereford x calf. I sell most of my stuff privately through preloved or SellMy Livestock, and as said - if it's priced right then it will sell. Look at what else is advertised at £400 to get a comparison of value.  If you are prepared to sell for meat, but presumably would prefer to sell them on alive, then why not let them go for meat prices; which in the present market would be @ £150 - £200?   

I've just looked at your advert. They are nice looking cows - and I can definitely see an udder. So they have calved before? That alters things. Your best bet would be to calve them, or wait till they are obviously in calf. I wouldn't pay to have them PDd as it'll  cost a fair proportion of their value, but you need to mention that they have run with the bull.  Or just lower your price to say £300, and with the spring grass coming on - they'll sell.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:57:27 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 02:05:04 pm »
It could be a misunderstanding.  Heifer means has never calved or (in some areas) may have calved but only once.

She becomes a cow as soon as she produces milk after having her first calf. 

So if they are in fact cows, you need to advertise them as such.  And then, as LLR says, it’s a matter of getting the price right.  They’re past their peak value now, so not worth quite what they’d have been at 4 or 5, after one or two calves. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HelenPye

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Anglesey, North Wales
    • Llais Aderyn
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 07:44:21 am »
Sorry gang I was clearly half asleep when I wrote that post - they are two cows not heifers!!

They 7 yr old (short legged) has calved most years and produced some lovely dexter-shetland crosses. The 8 year old (long legged) had a dexter calf, then lost her first dexter-shetland cross and sadly hasn't calved since.

Obviously goes without saying that I wouldn't send them off for meat without scanning.

Thanks for all the advice re prices, really hard to judge just by looking online as often there's no price with the advert. The advice on pricing really helpful [member=6533]landroverroy[/member]   - I'll think I'll reduce the short legged to £300. The long legged based on what people have said here is probably only going to be suitable for the butchers. We have a good customer base for the meat,

Any suggestions on what cuts you'd go for? We can never have enough mince and burgers for our customers so will certainly get a lot of that done(though more expensive butchering costs), but thoughts on joints/other cuts too? Briskets and pot roasts maybe? But maybe not stewing (which people often only cook for a short time) - don't want the meat to be tough and a disappointment to customers.

Helen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS