Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1109 times)

Stephy

• Joined Apr 2020
Advice needed
« on: April 16, 2020, 10:04:36 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to smallholdings! We may have the opportunity to take stewardship of a smallholding. Its only 1.7acres pretty much all set up and ready to go although has been left unattended for a couple of months. There's 2 huge polytunnels already quite established, an orchard, pond, bees, chicken set up and space for a couple of sheep. We are very excited & keen to get stuck in. We have a meeting setup to discuss how it would all work, but was hoping people could advice me on what questions I should be asking? And what the financial implications would be to take a stewardship on? Is there a financial commitment to the owners ie do we pay them rent as well as putting money into the land and livestock or do we put our money into the management of the land & livestock then give a percentage to the landowners?
What do people think are the main things I should consider & ask?
Many thanks  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:17:04 pm »
It will take time before you see much reward for your effort. I'd be asking what the minimum length of Stewardship is, because you don't want to spend time developing it only to be told to go? Personally I'd only expect the land and facilities to be maintained in good order and wouldn't expect rent or a share of the produce. After all, if just left it will soon go to ruin.

Stephy

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »
Hi chrismahon, thanks for that I'm hoping we don't pay rent as don't have a huge amount & want to use that on maintaining & development. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan   :fc:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:58:44 pm »
I have not heard of this type of smallholding stewardship before, so can offer no advice.  I would like to wish you luck though if you go ahead with the venture - it sounds a good way to get a foot on the ladder.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »
Only advice you really need is to have everything checked by a good solicitor …..I can see multiple issues arising here without legal standing.  Who owns what?  Who is liable for what (eg polytunnel blows down who has to rebuild?) What are get out clauses?  How long is contract for?

Might be better to legally rent?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS