Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loyalty  (Read 5746 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Loyalty
« on: April 12, 2020, 06:53:53 pm »
This afternoon I was checking the larsen traps. On approaching one there was an adult male blackbird sitting on it quite calmly, when I got closer I could see a female in the trap, again quite calm. I opened the trap and lifted her out and put her next to the still waiting male , neither flew off but instead the male started preening his partner for a moment or two before taking off.
So very sweet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Loyalty
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:38 am »
What species can be caught in Larsen traps?  I know they legally have to be checked daily but I know nothing else about them - what sizes of birds can get in tehm for instance.
That's a lovely story about the blackbirds, i doubt crows would be so loyal  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:08:15 am »
For the trap ; crows, magpies, jackdaws, jays, rooks, best time of the year as they are very territorial and a decoy will attract them.
As for crows,
I shot one crow stealing chickens eggs in view of its partner over a year ago. Since then and even yesterday I have been recognised and harassed by this particular bird ,  it will make a lot of noise and fly at me, except when I have the bang stick with me !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 11:40:21 am »

That's a lovely story about the blackbirds, i doubt crows would be so loyal  :innocent:

Don't you believe it Annie  ;D  Crows of all subspecies mate for life and are extremely loyal.  Do you remember my story of Crow and his mate Hoodie from last year?  After Hoodie was accidentally electrocuted, Crow was bereft.  He now has a new mate (Mrs Crow) although we don't know if they will breed this season.  They seem to still be courting coyly  :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 02:43:22 pm »

Don't you believe it Annie  ;D  Crows of all subspecies mate for life and are extremely loyal.  Do you remember my story of Crow and his mate Hoodie from last year?  After Hoodie was accidentally electrocuted, Crow was bereft.  He now has a new mate (Mrs Crow) although we don't know if they will breed this season.  They seem to still be courting coyly  :eyelashes:
I didn't know they mated for life.  I have a couple that come down to my balcony, or rather to the soon-to-be chicken run (hopefully after the covid thingy has gone away so I can go get some) right beside the balcony.  They don't seem to chase the sparrows and tits away, seem to wait till they're gone.  Never met polite and considerate crows before  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 01:59:13 pm »
What species can be caught in Larsen traps?

We once caught a chicken! Oh, and a robin. So the range is pretty large.  Mostly corvids though.

We have used one for the past three years to control magpie numbers, after a number of magpies learned to raid our henhouse for eggs.

Since then, the number of songbirds and tits here has absolutely skyrocketed, and there are blackbirds everywhere. So, much as I don't like using the larsen trap, I figure I'd rather have all the little birds than just a few magpies.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:17:23 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »
What species can be caught in Larsen traps?

I once caught a chicken! Oh, and a robin. So the range is pretty large.  Mostly corvids though.

We have used one for the past three years to control magpie numbers, after a number of magpies learned to raid our henhouse for eggs.

Since then, the number of songbirds and tits here has absolutely skyrocketed, and there are blackbirds everywhere. So, much as I don't like using the larsen trap, I figure I'd rather have all the little birds than just a few magpies.
Last year the magpies got beyond a joke and were decemating the swallows nests, today I have seen a hooded crow taking starling chicks from the vegetation growing up the water tower.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »
Lovely posts Rupert Bear and Fleecewife - I love birds.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 06:09:40 pm »
The laws on the use of Larsen traps have now changed, as all birds are now protected.  To catch anything using a Larsen trap you must have a special license.  I hadn't known that but I'm pleased about it because I too love birds. We now have a pair of magpies nesting locally which I'm trying to love and they are very beautiful and clever, like other corvids.  I'll see how I feel later in the season if they start raiding nests.  But whatever, I shall not be using Larsen traps.  :sunshine:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 06:33:35 pm »
The laws on the use of Larsen traps have now changed, as all birds are now protected.  To catch anything using a Larsen trap you must have a special license.  I hadn't known that but I'm pleased about it because I too love birds. We now have a pair of magpies nesting locally which I'm trying to love and they are very beautiful and clever, like other corvids.  I'll see how I feel later in the season if they start raiding nests.  But whatever, I shall not be using Larsen traps.  :sunshine:
Yep a change in the law, I have my licences and the trap is registered with the polis wildlife crime dept , who actually came and checked the info plate on it one afternoon . This year licencing is done by NatureScot.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:47:56 pm by Rupert the bear »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 07:16:40 pm »
Yes, that's right. It's not licensing as such, but all traps must be registered, formerly with Police Scotland, and now with Scottish National Heritage. There is also a long list of welfare requirements that you have to comply with, and I'm fully aware that the traps are controversial.

[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member], was that just a random visit then? e.g. not one prompted by any specific concern or report?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:05 pm »
Yes, that's right. It's not licensing as such, but all traps must be registered, formerly with Police Scotland, and now with Scottish National Heritage. There is also a long list of welfare requirements that you have to comply with, and I'm fully aware that the traps are controversial.

[member=136323]Rupert the bear[/member], was that just a random visit then? e.g. not one prompted by any specific concern or report?
In the area for banana and walnut cake and cup of tea , oh and I knew the officer in question .

With our amount of land no one would even know it was here , but the law's the law
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:31:58 pm by Rupert the bear »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:34:03 pm »
That's good you're all doing it right  :thumbsup: :trophy:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 11:38:01 pm »
And good that you respected that, without turning this thread into a shouting match.

Sometimes I'm not convinced TAS is on the internet at all!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 11:31:38 am »
Sometimes I'm not convinced TAS is on the internet at all!!

Sssshhhhh don't broadcast it, it isn't, Dan's got it hidden up his jumper  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS