Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and ducks?  (Read 1610 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Cats and ducks?
« on: April 12, 2020, 03:04:59 pm »
I would like to get some ducks, hopefully ducklings. I also have a cat and chickens. The chickens and the cat ignore eachother but when we first got the cat he chased the chickens. I assume they gave him a peck and told him off. But can ducks do that? Can they defend themselves against a cat?
He mostly  catches mice and baby birds, but have got baby rabbits and pigeons before.

I also don't know if we're allowed to go and buy animals at the moment. Does anyone know?  I suppose for me it's not really an "essential journey".

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Cats and ducks?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 03:13:27 pm »

I have known cats kill ducklings. Adult ducks should be fine and ducklings with a duck.

People are selling poultry at the moment. Farming continues and with it the necessary sale of animals. Personally though I wouldn't see getting a few ducks for a hobby at this time as an essential journey and not worth the risk.

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 03:20:06 pm »
Thanks harmony :) No it's not an essential journey for me. But it must be really hard for the breeders if nobody buys their stock.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:21:49 pm »
It's hard for a lot of people with a lot of money sat in goods unable to trade. We hatch and sell a few ducks and chickens every year but we haven't switched the incubator on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS