Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinach  (Read 3562 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Spinach
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »
How do I grow spinach? Is it complicated?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Spinach
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »
Actually it couldn't be more easy, i grow mine in an old dumpy sack which i had sand delivered in but it will grow anywhere, in fairly rich soil. I have five rows in my sack running spinach - chard (bright lights) -spinach - chard - spinach. We love it and the sack grows more than enough for the pair of us. It grows back as you pick so you get plenty. I planted a load in July and it is still looking great, will be eating it all winter in stir fry and in Indian dishes.

Good Luck Rob.  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:13 pm »
and if it does bolt and go flowery, the animals will LOVE it!

yes, dead easy   :)
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:13:03 am »
I either keep the seeds for next year but if I'm too busy to collect it will happily self seed. As they are easy to spot in spring you'll have an early crop. If transplanted I found they bolted earlier, so best to keep them where they come up! It's fun, go find your food  ;D :&>

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:24 am »
I can manage to grow it each year without fail so it must be simple  ;D

Pick leaves rather than the whole plant and it will keep producing more for months on end - baby leaves for salad in winter and bigger ones in curries, soups etc for autumn and winter - really worthwhile plant  :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:07:41 am »
I always grow the perpetual spinach also known as spinach beet, as I find it less likely to bolt.

All the best
sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
me too.  though my mum and dad's bolted loads this year?!  I dont mind though.... they pull it up and give it me for the animals & I replant them and trim off the flower heads!   :)
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »
iv only grown perpetual spinach and lasted for 2 years so far, we feed it to our rabbits.

Mayangold

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:20:46 pm »
I grow perpetual spinach and chard  generally and don't bother with ordinary spinach ( I like the stuff from cans in Indian stores!)  joking aside, in Autum I put in loads of chinese leaves and pak choi too. I put them in after the lettuces have finished, so as to get two crops per year from the same plot ( then rotate of course).
  You don't need to plant the Chinese veg type seeds before mid July, then you can also sow some more mid August or so, and get more new growth as late as November.
Due to the awful frosts all my greens have now died back, but I do see some young shoots of perpetual spinach coming up already  ( end of January). 
- Roll on March not very long now,  and we can get things growing again. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:31:40 pm »
I hate it!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »
we  love it, seeds in, a bit of weeding, eat! The larger the better, so we tend to go for chards but grow them all  ;) :&>

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 06:53:43 am »
 You can also use the beetroot leaves the same as silver beet.  cook them the same.

If you want nice green long leves then you have to leave the lant alone to grow to it maturity.

good garden bed full of manure and a nice sunny spot.   caterpillars  do eat it but time to watch for butterflies is also essential.   You can also collect the seed  from any of the plants that get the better of you and collect them for the following years  production.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS