Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Granuloma help!  (Read 1446 times)

McLeod

• Joined Apr 2020
Granuloma help!
« on: April 11, 2020, 08:39:45 pm »
I have a lovely Golden Guernsey who had an injury to one toe.  The result has been intermittent lameness, infection and now a granuloma.  Vet has been consulted throughout and at one point suggested amputation of the toe.  However this is a rescue goat and he’s big and anxious, vet is lovely but has no real goat experience.  I just know he wouldn’t survive the trauma or the anaesthetic.  Honestly trying to clean it is a major operation! Has anyone got any suggestions on how to treat the granuloma non surgically? I’ve ordered a sheep foot boot, who knew, to try and cushion it. I’ve bathed it with copper sulphate, he’s had antibiotic and I only put him and his pals out every second day so he can rest it.  I really don’t want to cull him, he’s a pet and apart from it clearly being really sore he’s eating well, maintaining weight and showing normal goatie behaviour.  Sorry this is like war and peace but I’m at a loss of what to try next.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Granuloma help!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 07:46:40 pm »
I have treated sucessfully with copper sulphate too. I have used slightly differentlt to Scarlet Dragon though.

I trim any foot back around the granuloma/proud flesh and add a few drops of water to copper suplphate crystals to make a paste,around enough paste to fill a desert spoon. put the paste onto the granuloma, and I cover in a piece of animalintex, vetwrap and then duct tape over it. Leave for 24hrs and remove, it should of burnt all of the proud flesh away leaving healthy pink tissue. I would leave open to the elements then to dry out rather than bandage, possibly spray with an antiseptic spray if needed.

McLeod

• Joined Apr 2020
Re: Granuloma help!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:00:31 pm »
Thank you both.  He now has a wee copper sulphate wrap on.  I think he may need more than one but will let you know how it goes.  ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS