Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raspberry leaves for kidding?  (Read 1445 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Raspberry leaves for kidding?
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:48:05 pm »
Hi
Does anyone feed raspberry leaves coming up to kidding?
On the few occasions I've remembered, maybe coincidence,  but kidded soon after and a good kidding.
So when do I start giving them and do they need to be dry (as I was advised), or is that because they aren't normally out at  earlier kidding times. Plenty of fresh growth coming on wild raspberries,
Gypsy Due on April 15th then another 24th

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Raspberry leaves for kidding?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »
I have given these to the gaots as part of a mixed bundle (for late kidders only, early ones do not have greens as none out), but wouldn't say it speeded up kidding. You won't know. I think it is more important that the girls get exercise close to kidding, as it definitely helps to keep up their appetite, and if the kidding is protracted I now give an injection of Calciject 5 a lot quicker than I used to.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 01:53:53 pm »
No idea about the kidding but the goats love bramble and raspberry leaves. That's the first thing they eat at the allotment  ;D
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »
It was an old goatkeeper who advised me, but I can't remember whether it speeded things up or just helped.
First one I gave a handful to kidded that night,  deep down I know it would be coincidence , but thought it would help.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 03:54:39 pm »
Have you tried chewing them yourself?
They are sweet and actually taste like their own fruit  :yum:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »
Never tried them but i wiol.
Have heard of raspberry tea ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS