Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garlic and turmeric questions  (Read 1938 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Garlic and turmeric questions
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:56:13 pm »
Hi, can anyone recommend how much garlic I can add to gg feed, does anyone give it to their milkers?

Also have a dam that is becoming stiff so am going to try her on turmeric, anyone able to advise on dosage please?

Many thanks for reading

Angie

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Garlic and turmeric questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 02:26:55 pm »
I assume garlic will make the milk smell or taste different? Turmeric - no idea. We eat half a tea spoon with a teaspoon of honey each every day recently - but obviously we are humans lol
Turmeric wont kill though - might just make them more golden than they already are lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 05:49:11 pm »
My goats used to get a sprinkling of garlic granules onto their food, but it had to be hidden with a dash of virgin olive oil.... they did not like it. So I haven't fed it to them in a while. At the levels I used it it did not taint the milk. (Cabbage and turnips etc - totally different story though...).
Wrt stiffness - how old are your goats and are they CAE negative? If you don't know or haven't had them tested I would advise to get them blood tested asap (don't know if vet does it at the moment, may not be classed as emergency...).

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:58:10 pm »
Thank you for your reply Anke, cae negative herd. She's eight and a bit stiff depending on the weather.
The garlic is mainly for the boys to see if it makes a difference to repelling biting insects, don't want to keep using spot on at this time of the year unless I really need to as we have a problem with horse flies later in the year so would have to keep treating them with it longer than I would like to.

Kind regards

Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 07:44:15 am »
If the garlic is for the boys then of course no problems wrt milk tainting. I would just try it - depends a bit on what else they get and how keen they are on it. I had a goat that would eat garlic out of my hand (of course she thought it was a treat!), but she also was troubled by flies badly. None of my homebred goats have ever shown that.

As to joint stuff for the older goat - there is stuff in the horsey section at the feeds merchant which I know some people swear by.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:43 am »
My goats were eating wild welsh onions and wild garlic. But I wasn't milking them then.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 12:14:21 pm »
My goats were eating wild welsh onions and wild garlic. But I wasn't milking them then.
The fresh stuff is quite different, the dried garlic granules you can buy for horses are quite potent. And if the goats would eat a lot of the wild stuff, I think the milk could easily get tainted as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS