Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryelands Vs Grey Faced Dartmoors  (Read 1317 times)

Kittencotes

• Joined Apr 2020
Ryelands Vs Grey Faced Dartmoors
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:41:37 pm »
Hi,

do any of you have experience of keeping Ryelands and GFDs?

I am interested in your observations of how their temperament compares.

I know that Ryelands are very friendly and many enjoy a chest rub and a head stroke and understand that GFDs are very laid back. I just wondered if GFDs also enjoy physical contact as much as Ryelands?

Any one keep both?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ryelands Vs Grey Faced Dartmoors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:00:06 pm »
The only other thing I would mention is whether you think you might be interested in spinning their fleeces.  If so, Ryeland fibre would be more useful.  GFDs are so pretty, but their fleece is quite harsh.  Great for twine or perhaps woven mats, but you wouldn't want a jumper or hat made from it.  Whereas Ryeland is lovely bouncy fibre, really nice for jumpers, gloves, hats etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kittencotes

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:21:56 am »
Thanks Sally,

no I'm not planning to spin the fleeces, though I didnt realise it was so coarse on the GFDs. Do you keep them both? I have yet to meet a GFD who loves a cuddle but have only met them at sales when they are all a little cautious and reserved.   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:46:41 am »
I don’t have either but I have spun most things :) :spin:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:54 pm »
We had both for several years. In the end however, we decided to get rid of the GFDs for several reasons. Yes, they are very cute and pretty, but after hours spent cleaning shitty bums they lose their appeal! Then they never really seemed to thrive here in West Wales, weather was too wet for their fleeces which simply matted over the winter. They are easy to handle, laid back and (generally) good mums, but are pretty high maintenance (we always had to dag and crutch a lot and then clear fleece to allow the lambs to find a teat). Ryelands (we had coloureds) put weight on faster and were generally more robust, with lambs that tended to be more vigorous. The trouble with the coloureds is the wool is practically worthless, unless you are going to shear and spin it yourself.  We still have coloured (a few less than we did) since there is a good demand for lambs but brought in Angora goats for the value if their fibre (£15 a kilo!!! rather than 8p per kilo).

For a beginner I would recommend Ryelands over the GFDs - the latter are a bit like Valais Blacknose - incredibly cute but a lot of work.

As a final point, compared to some (not all) other pedigree breeds the GFDs are quite expensive and the market is dominated by a few breeders and limited bloodlines.

Kittencotes

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 06:27:36 pm »
Thanks Steve,

for the considered reply, its really helpful. I fancy lambing a few more replacements to my current flock and was just toying with a new breed for a change, so your experience is very welcome. The main reasons for considering the GFD's is obviously the cuteness as you say and the calmness. But I had also been told that you can hand trim them as their fleece is a different staple to the thick, fuzzy Ryeland fleece. Price and availability are also important factors to consider though as I would want good stock. So it sounds like "its a no from me" for the GFD as availability of tups might be an issue too?  :thinking: 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »
R.e temperament- and this goes for a lot of breeds, a lot is how the animal has been farmed/kept, as well as the breed. I have bought lleyns from 3 different farms- 1 group of 6 came from a hill farm and were very feral, to the point by the end of this summer I will only have 2 left- culled on temperament (wild) and mastitis troubles. Another group of 6 were bred in a smaller flock much like my own and are different sheep altogether, docile, not flighty, a pleasure to have. So if you can find some GFD sheep that are bred by someone with a similar setup to you, I wouldn’t discount them  :)

Kittencotes

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks Twizzel,

I do agree with you that temperament is a combination of nature and nurture so perhaps I should still keep an open mind.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS