Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloated Lamb  (Read 2559 times)

Bec77

• Joined Apr 2020
Bloated Lamb
« on: April 04, 2020, 03:38:40 am »
Please help, I have a 1 week old lamb who looks bloated. I have done some reading and have given him 10mls cooking oil and 10mls bicarb soda water mix. It’s been an hour, how long does the treatment take to work and how often should I treat him?
Thanks, Bec

Gosh, thanks so much for the help..........
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:40:43 am by Bec77 »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Bloated Lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:00:48 pm »
I'm so sorry none of us saw this and replied sooner.

How is the lamb now?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:21:05 am »
Ditto Sally, I suspect most of us were asleep at 3am...how is the lamb today?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:18:27 pm »
This was posted 5 days ago now. I suspect teh lamb has recovered or is dead.  The OP only joined this month.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bec77

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:27:30 am »
I posted in the afternoon Australia time......and waited days for a reply.
He pulled through and is going strong.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:38:18 am »

This is a great forum but doesn’t substitute vet advice and should not be relied on as such- you should always ring the vet rather than ask an Internet forum. Glad your lamb is okay though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 10:41:11 am »

This is a great forum but doesn’t substitute vet advice and should not be relied on as such- you should always ring the vet rather than ask an Internet forum. Glad your lamb is okay though.

Asking the forum as well is usually an excellent idea.  I am just sorry that on this occasion none of us spotted the post for 3 days.  It's very unusual.  Thank goodness the lamb was okay.

I've just remembered my internet was off for a few days.  I was doing the barest minimum on my phone as I don't usually need much data so my plan has very little included. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 11:06:54 am »
Just in case others are looking for advice on bloat remedies, I will link one of the older posts here.

Toffee's story, bloat in a 4-month old weaned calf

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS