Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thank you!  (Read 1038 times)

Lizf

• Joined Apr 2020
Thank you!
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:57 am »
I am so pleased to be in the smallholder community and look forward to learning and sharing.  We live in Normandy and have just radically downsized which has meant reducing our flock of Ouessant sheep which we have had for the past 13 years.  However sheep and chickens have moved well and we have just had our first lamb for this year, a strapping little black ram called Mars. We kept our 4 best ewes and a young ram bred by us but of completely different bloodline - interesting times sheepwise.
Normandy differs very little in the countryside from the UK, we have much the same problems and very similar climate to the south of England.  Like everyone else we are in lockdown at the moment so innovation is the key.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:50:50 pm »
Hi [member=201136]Lizf[/member]  :wave:

There seem to be a few new posts that we haven't spotted, so I am sorry you haven't had a reply till now. 

Mars is a big name for the tiniest sheep breed! lol.  Do you have a picture of him?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 06:03:41 am »
hello [member=201136]Lizf[/member] , welcome to TAS
have you got a local breed of chickens too?

Lizf

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:56:15 am »
Yes Ouessant lambs are very small but feisty - we had a little problem when Mars was born as his Dad, Mikki had a shock and got his hormones mixed up - it’s his first time and he us only young so we separated Mum and baby until the hormones had died down - Mars solved the problem by wriggling through the wire and joining Dad.  They are all together now and Mikki is an exemplary father letting his son climb all over him.
We had another born last night but it is too quick for us so far and we haven’t checked whether it is a boy or girl - it’s obviously fit!
We have had Ouessants for years now but you never get over the miracle of lambing.  Being new to this I haven’t grasped how to load photos but I will when I have solved it!

Lizf

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 01:42:34 pm »
I tried a video but it was too big so a photo will have to do.  The white lamb is today’s with black Mars in the background and handsome dad looking on.  He is quite a special chap, super conformation, size and the more rare proper chocolate colour (a bit faded and more milk chocolate this time of year).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 02:16:18 pm »
Oh, lovely pic, thanks.  I can see the appeal :hugsheep:   And Mikki is a very fine chap indeed
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS