Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I use Alamycin spray on a hen's fox wound?  (Read 2802 times)

bigpepperplant

• Joined Jul 2018
Can I use Alamycin spray on a hen's fox wound?
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:38:43 pm »
Hi a fox got two of our hens this afternoon and left one wounded. She's walking ok, eating, drinking, etc. But there's a bit of blood on her feathers. We have Alamycin aerosol for our sheep - does anyone know if it's a good idea to use this on any wound on the hen? I know how quickly wounds get infected and want to get her through the night if at all possible.
thanks in advance!
Alex

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Can I use Alamycin spray on a hen's fox wound?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 07:26:28 pm »
Sorry to hear your fox probl4em..

You don't really describe any wound though? If the hen was lucky and has just got scratches and pulled feathers then spray would be fine (although I'm not sure necassary). If there is a tear or open puncture wounds its really a vet job, or cull if the expense is prohibitive.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:22 pm »
Have a good look amongst her feathers for a bite or tear.  If she has either of those then she needs an antibiotic injection pronto, and the wound needs to be cleaned with an antiseptic such as Hibiscrub/chlorhexidine.
Sadly, hens which have been attacked by foxes usually die, of infection or shock or both, up to 3 days later.  But if she appears to be none the worse for her experience then that is great.
Fox attacks are so frustratingly horrible.  Poor hens  :hughen:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:34:32 am »
I have know hens recover well from really bad looking wounds and skin rips from fox and dog bites.
Clean wound of debris and bits of feathers that have been pushed inside using tweezers. Wash with cooled boiled salty water and then steri strips made from plasters or strips of plaster to hold skin back together, purple/blue spray and bandage over whole thing. Sometimes it’s possible to attach strips to the feathers either side of wound to pull skin back together rather than putting pressure on the skin.
Then perhaps isolate with placid friend in sight of rest of flock.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:56:14 am »
I have know hens recover well from really bad looking wounds and skin rips from fox and dog bites.
Clean wound of debris and bits of feathers that have been pushed inside using tweezers. Wash with cooled boiled salty water and then steri strips made from plasters or strips of plaster to hold skin back together, purple/blue spray and bandage over whole thing. Sometimes it’s possible to attach strips to the feathers either side of wound to pull skin back together rather than putting pressure on the skin.
Then perhaps isolate with placid friend in sight of rest of flock.
I did this when my husband's German Wirehair got one of my chickens and pulled the skin off from above her wing right down the top of her leg.  I just used savlon cream (about half atube lol) being the only thing I had in the kitchen when it happened right ourtside the back door.  I put a crepe bandage right round her body and put her back with teh otheres. 10 days later i unwrapped her and she was right as rain, with just a few squint feathers.  The GWP got a hammering - well not really but she got a bloody good talking to  :innocent:
The hen lived till it was about 7 I think
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bigpepperplant

• Joined Jul 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:32:13 pm »
Thanks so much for all the advice. This morning she seems ok so now I'm thinking maybe the blood around her was from the other hen that died next to her. I had assumed it was her since she was so still and looked really stricken with a pool of blood under her. But then she perked up. I haven't wanted to pick her up since she's skittish and think it would scare her more so haven't had a proper detailed look yet but will do so later. This morning she's eating and drinking and pecking around like the others so I'm hoping she managed to dodge it.
stressful but silver lining maybe

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
Hi, many years ago I had a light Sussex hen badly mauled by a fox . She had a gaping hole in her back. Cleaned it as best I could and packed the wound with old fashioned Germoline. Made sure she had food and water close by and kept up with keeping the wound as clean as I could and reapplying the Germoline. Did wonders, wound healed and she lived happily for another 5 years! Biggest killer is shock.... if she sees through the first few days she’s got a good chance???? Good luck!
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS