Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starting out  (Read 789 times)

nearlyretired

• Joined Apr 2020
starting out
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:09:36 pm »
Hi everyone. I have approx 4 acres in the high pennines. Not much grows here! I have just been topping the grass 2-3 times a year for last 20 years but as I approach retirement wondered what I could do more usefully.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: starting out
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:48:06 pm »
Hi there!  :wave:  Not sure why we hadn't seen your post and said Hi before this, sorry 'bout that.  We are usually a pretty welcoming bunch! 

I used to be north of Hadrian's Wall myself, and loved driving southeast across the tops to Weardale and places.  So I can imagine the type of ground it is.

Down here we talk sheep/acre, up there it's acres/sheep ;) 

So one thing your 4 acres could do is be a bit of extra summer grazing for one of your neighbours.  A few ewes and lambs in summer, maybe.  And / or perhaps somewhere to keep a few tups in winter after they've finished their work.

But if you want your own livestock, then the simplest thing would be to buy a few weaned lambs off a neighbour each year and fatten them up.  Or even get into having a few orphan lambs and rearing them yourself, but it's always a good idea to learn a bit about keeping lambs by getting some weaned ones the first time.

Did you have any ideas yourself?  Anything you have had a hankering for?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: starting out
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:00:09 pm »
Definitely weaned lambs for a couple of years before raising orphans. We were nearly retired when we started raising sheep. The four-hourly orphan feeds during the night were shattering. Something that is easy in your 20's and 30's is a whole lot harder in your late 50's........ :tired:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS