Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitus - anyone else having a bad year?  (Read 1241 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Mastitus - anyone else having a bad year?
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:23:52 am »
As per the title, is anyone else having a bad year? Its not been an issue for me for years but this year it has. Generally in ewes that have lambed fine and been out for a few weeks on grass. My theory is that the grass isn't very good this year and the ewes are short on milk, meaning the lambs are rougher with the bags?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Mastitus - anyone else having a bad year?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:15:58 pm »
i havent started yet but a pal of mine has had a few issues, the Vet says especially last week with the warm mild days and cold nights the bacteria has gone into over drive
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:32:30 pm »
Yep, never had mastitis before (only 3rd time lambing) but having a lot of new issues this year. Turned a triplet ewe out with plenty of milk and 2 lambs with her at around 5 days old, a day or two later lambs looked hungry, brought her in, very early start of mastitis but seems to have affected her milk production in one teat for sure.

Trying to get the smaller, slightly hungrier ewe lamb to take a bottle every few hours as a top up as I'd like to keep them both with mum and just top up whats needed but she's persistently refusing  ???

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »
Yep having a pants year this year, normally ok but just problems! Just been to check & found a prolapsed ewe which we’ve never had in 8 years !
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS