Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - inexpensive pig pregnancy scanner  (Read 4933 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Wanted - inexpensive pig pregnancy scanner
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:36 am »
Looking for something similar to the Agritech Doppler, the PregTector by Rotech or equivalent Draminski model.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Wanted - inexpensive pig pregnancy scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »
Liz, we spent ages looking for a second hand one, they don't come up very often.  We ended up buying a new one - went for
http://www.draminski.com/products/pigs/draminski_tester_ciazy_dla_swin
which we got through
www.pbmarketing.co.uk
Not on his website, but I know he imports them.

Not cheap by any means.

Does take a while to get used to where to put it on sows vs. gilts, and larger vs smaller pigs, but once you get the hang is easy to use, and gives a clear sound indictation from 35 to 75 days, so you can check that she is holding the pregnancy. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:44 am »
Thanks. Before I posted this, I had collected quotes from various places. Draminski (very basic design) about £350, Agritech, £325 + vat,  PregTector £395 + VAT. Quite fancy the latter. Spec sounds better, and they offer an angled-top unit as well as a flat one, so could be easier when standing up.

Wasn't asking specifically for second-hand ones, but if someone has bought one and not used it much, I'd be interested. Probably going to bite the bullet in November and invest in one, so would appreciate any advice. Having one would save a lot of guess work and unnecessary/inefficient feeding.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:20:22 am by Tudful Tamworths »
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:52:39 am »
I'm looking forward to reading any advice too.   It's something I know I should get, but as you say it's a big investment.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:23:23 am »
I'm looking forward to reading any advice too.   It's something I know I should get, but as you say it's a big investment.

Ditto  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:40:17 pm »
I'm not as experienced as you guys when it comes to breeding pigs, so please excuse me if this is totally ignorant  ;D but surely you'd be able to tell by watching for her coming back into season at 21, 42, 63 days etc ? As Oaklands says it's good from 35 - 75 days, so not effective in early pregnancy and by the time you're over 75 days it is getting to the fairly obvious stage (or maybe that's just Kunes ;)) I've been toying with the idea of one, but wonder how neccesary/useful they would actually be  ???

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:22:31 pm »
I used to think the same Karen, but during this year I've had two GOS's that it would have been really useful for.  One gilt was still not showing any signs of being in pig the day before she farrowed producing 7 and the other had a 'phantom' pregnancy.  So in both cases the scanner would have been great.

Maybe I should put one on my 'Christmas List'.   :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS