NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Sanitiser - home made options  (Read 1743 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sanitiser - home made options
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 09:28:40 pm »
Yes, there seem to be several sellers from China advertising as shipping from the UK.  All of the accounts seem to have been set up very recently and although there's 100% feedback, there aren't many people having submitted feedback.  Historically, I've also found with other sellers from China that they mark as "UK" but ship from China and it takes 4-6 weeks to get the item although that isn't indicated at purchase.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm suspicious by nature having learned the hard way.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.
Voss Electric Fence

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow. Some say it's in England.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 09:38:06 pm »
Also:  while searching on ebay for Iso' Alc', I came across an interesting/enterprising offering of 4-6 inches of distressed and burnished 12mm copper pipe with a hanging loop for £5.99 a pop and advertised as potentially helping to combat contact bugs by rubbing over one's skin!  It's an interesting idea so good luck to them, but there will surely be far too many folk with the odd bit of old copper pipe and abrasives hanging about should they wish to add copper to their palette of protection aids !

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 09:41:03 pm »
Yes, there seem to be several sellers from China advertising as shipping from the UK.  All of the accounts seem to have been set up very recently and although there's 100% feedback, there aren't many people having submitted feedback.  Historically, I've also found with other sellers from China that they mark as "UK" but ship from China and it takes 4-6 weeks to get the item although that isn't indicated at purchase.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm suspicious by nature having learned the hard way.

I've bought from similar sellers before and have received products within the specified delivery time.  I'll let you know about this purchase delivery idc,

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 09:59:57 pm »
Chinese people have warehouses in the UK nowadays. They ship a container of stock at a time and distribute it from the UK warehouse.
Trust me - I make a living selling on ebay!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese rabbits and a little boy on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 10:32:18 pm »
Just FYI... vinegar is a good cleaner but has no (or little) viricidal action, so don't think it will help you sanitise for CV-19 ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 01:51:44 pm »
@Scarlet.Dragon    I wouldn't leave it too long if thinking you would like to buy some Iso' Alcohol:  my ebay seller's offer has ended having sold over 1600 units apparently.  There are still some offers available for less than silly money though (but might not be as cheap as £1.40/ltr).

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:59 pm »
@Scarlet.Dragon  I won't know until Wed/Thurs next week (due delivery date/s), but link to my seller below.  Seller is in China, but is selling product located in the UK (as advertised)! 
I will post again when/if it arrives.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-100-5-LITRE-Lab-Grade-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-99-9-RUBBING-ALCOHOL/184218581668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@Scarlet.Dragon you were spot-on with your assessment in this instance:  my order of IA has not arrived and checking back to ebay, I can now see a raft of negative feedback added very recently (=scam offering) - I guess I'm about to add to that feedback list.  Obviously I'm now going through the standard "Item not received.  I want a refund." process:  will have to wait 8 days before ebay will step in of course.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 08:27:23 pm »
@Scarlet.Dragon  I won't know until Wed/Thurs next week (due delivery date/s), but link to my seller below.  Seller is in China, but is selling product located in the UK (as advertised)! 
I will post again when/if it arrives.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-100-5-LITRE-Lab-Grade-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-99-9-RUBBING-ALCOHOL/184218581668?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@Scarlet.Dragon you were spot-on with your assessment in this instance:  my order of IA has not arrived and checking back to ebay, I can now see a raft of negative feedback added very recently (=scam offering) - I guess I'm about to add to that feedback list.  Obviously I'm now going through the standard "Item not received.  I want a refund." process:  will have to wait 8 days before ebay will step in of course.

Really sorry to read this.  Hopefully it's just delayed in the post and will turn up in the next day or two or you get a complete refund through eBay! 

I opted to make up a solution of hibiscrub instead and put it in an old shampoo bottle.  Whilst I don't suppose it's been tested on COVID19, from everything I can see on what it's effective against and how it works on other viruses, it looks like it kills pretty much anything within 30 seconds and it lasts for up to 6 hours by coating/ being absorbed into the skin.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:30:20 pm by Scarlet.Dragon »
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:20 pm »
Virkron-s + spray bottle

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 11:43:20 pm »
@Rupert the bear - I don't see any references suggesting it should/could be used for personal use as protection against microbes - are you sure ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 02:01:17 am »
Kills the virus, effectively. Spray on ,air dry ,moisturising if required.
I’m just thinking out of the box here. The German health board seem keen enough to allow ingestion in dogs at a rate of 1g per litre for parvovirus, can’t be all bad,and better than using an antibacterial that’s of now use against a viral threat.
My opinion anyway.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52:42 am »
My understanding is that soaps and washing up liquids (which the Americans call dish soap) are the best at killing the virus on contact, so I've been using a damp cloth with a good squirt of washing up liquid soaped up on it as a surface cleaner and also a hand cleanser if I am not near a handwashbasin, or the soap has run out.

We use eco products, so no ill effects on us or our pets or livestock if it gets on or in them.

But one of my doctor friends, a reconstructive plastic surgeon, has questioned whether the eco-friendly washing up liquids are effective against this virus. 

Thoughts?  Any chemists or biochemists on here?

My source for why I thought it would be okay was this Which? article
Dr Primrose Freestone, Associate Professor in Clinical Microbiology at the University of Leicester explains: ‘COVID-19 is an enveloped RNA (ribonucleic acid) virus, meaning that proteins and lipids are part of its structure. Therefore, detergents by themselves – such as soap and even washing-up liquid – work very well at disrupting the virus structure by dissolving the lipids, which in turn inactivates the virus by stopping it binding to our cells.’ The alcohol in hand sanitiser works in a similar way, by dissolving lipids in the virus coating (as long as it’s 60% alcohol).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 03:15:58 pm »
Virkron-s + spray bottle

That's what i've been using around the house. A 5g tablet makes up 500ml (spray bottle) of liquid that is usable for 5 days. Great for surfaces and especially door handles. Bonus is that it is DEFRA approved for many other things.

I've also been using it for a while on my dog and rabbit bowls. We use it on the farm for the pigs water troughs/barrels and in our bio-security foot dips/vehicle wheel sprayers
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 04:21:30 pm »
Well, I just went to print something on an old bit of paper and found the "recipe" that started this thread in the "use again" paper bin!  Coincidence or what?!

It was 100mls Dettol, and a squirt of fairy liquid in 1L of water and it was supposed to be an emergency alternative to Hibiscrub!!!!

"Hibiscrub is the leading antimicrobial skin cleanser, which contains Chlorhexidine, that has been used and is trusted by vets, doctors and many animal owners for many years. It can be used as a handwash, as well as to clean wounds and grazes. It is effective against most bacteria, fungi and viruses." according to eVetDrug with the independent pharmacy also mentioning "yeasts".  (Starting to sound like pink Domestos in terms of "killing all known germs"!)

Soap is basically "oily acid" that dissolves oil/grease in water to enable it to be flushed off the skin.  It doesn't matter if it's an eco-friendly or a chemically based soap, if it acts to "de-grease" something, then it will work by "denaturing" the virus or splitting the oily lipids away from the proteins.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 05:08:11 pm »
Don't forget that Dettol and cats don't mix, folks ;)

Free Labels for your home made home grown stuff

Started by Tullywood Farm

Replies: 2
Views: 1862
Last post August 15, 2009, 03:02:09 pm
by HappyHippy
Home Made Washing Powder

Started by greenfingers

Replies: 5
Views: 5603
Last post January 07, 2011, 04:54:30 pm
by plumseverywhere
Home made cleaning tips!!!!!!

Started by Sandy

Replies: 11
Views: 3501
Last post June 26, 2011, 01:31:26 pm
by faith0504
Home made hog roast - Channel 4

Started by Tudful Tamworths

Replies: 3
Views: 2048
Last post January 18, 2014, 08:40:30 pm
by Bodger
Home made midge controle

Started by happygolucky

Replies: 4
Views: 1212
Last post July 08, 2013, 03:37:27 pm
by happygolucky

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS