Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Never thought Id go back to small holding  (Read 854 times)

Earl

• Joined Mar 2020
Never thought Id go back to small holding
« on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:50 am »
This Virus thing has made me revisit the idea of self sufficiency. Popping down to the super market may not always be an option. Having to think te unthinkable-rippinf up some lawn fir potatoes - coop for chickens- still for antiseptic and self medication. We are all coffin dodgers now. Oh yea and hello everyone :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Never thought Id go back to small holding
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:27 pm »
Hi Earl  :wave:

Yes, we are all very lucky to have at least some food production on our own places  :relief:

Where I am, we are probably going to restock with chickens as we had planned to do this year, but perhaps work on a more "completely free range, just a handful of wheat at bedtime" basis, with automatic pophole closers, so we don't run into problems if animal feed gets to be in short supply.

The herbivores can all look after themselves for a couple of weeks if they have to - grass under their feet and water on tap, the dairy cow has a calf at foot, and so on. 

I am still in several minds about pigs.  They make meat out of dairy and veg plot waste, so are an important ingredient in our semi-sufficiency here...  but they cannot manage without humans helping and feeding them, and what if we are all sick at once?  Not to mention we would need to be able to get bought-in feed for them (and we only want to feed GM-free preferably non-soya...)  So at the mo we have not bought any weaners this year.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS