Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: single strand electric fence  (Read 1517 times)

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
single strand electric fence
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:58 am »

Hello - couple of questions I am struggling with on internet search.
I'd be obliged if anyone could supply a simple answers. I am bit slow.

I have inherited an set of enclosures for poulty where the outer perimeter is protected with a single wire that has been insulated.
It is about 6 - 7 feet from the ground and is complete circuit around teh enclosures.
Naturally there is orher wire fencing around the perrimeter and separating enclosures themsleves.

1. Will this single strand keep foxes from climbing over if I energised it?
Is there a minimum joule load (not sure if right way to express that) to deter a fox.
Everything inside is secure already so not worried about anything getting out, just the bad guy(!) getting in.

2. I thought I would energise the strand from the mains in a nearby barn.
I seem to understand I'd do this with an extension cable of HT wire? Is this correct?
Plus is it the case that the current in this connector between energiser and electric fence is so low that it does not representa any danger if it accidentally got cut with spade or something?
I was thinking of burying it.

Thansk
Rob

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: single strand electric fence
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 03:47:43 pm »
We bury our plain wires running through alcathene piping as a conduit.  This give some protection from accidentally chopping it up.  Our energiser is a dual powered one, either mains or battery.  The pheasant pens in a local wood have a high hot wire to keep out foxes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS