Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sourcing meat chickens - where do you guys get them?  (Read 1422 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Sourcing meat chickens - where do you guys get them?
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »
Hi

We are looking to raise our own chickens for the table and we are having serious difficulty sourcing them. It doesn't help that we are tucked away in deepest SW Scotland with no known local suppliers/breeders.

One option for us would be to go down the hatching eggs route, although we have never hatched eggs in the past.

where do those of you that raise table birds get your stock?

Do we go for the chicken..... or the egg??!?!?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sourcing meat chickens - where do you guys get them?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 05:28:37 pm »
Craigievern Poultry

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:05:51 am »
Craigievern Poultry

Thanks Rosemary but that is one of the issues for me in that their nearest delivery point to me gives me a 200+ mile round trip so was hoping someone might know of somewhere closer......

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:41 pm »
I'm in a similar situation to you as I live on an island and delivery of day olds is around 50 chicks, which is just too many I wouldn't have enough room for them.
Hatching isn't too difficult and can be really addictive - Craigievern have some nice smallholder type table bird hatching eggs which mature longer and are far healthier than the ross/cobb types - hope to be getting some of them this year. You just need a decent incubator, we started off with the Brinsea octagon automatic which is a good beginners inci, oh and somewhere to put them when they hatch  :)
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS