Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing problems 'band' 3 inches inside birth canal  (Read 1276 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Lambing problems 'band' 3 inches inside birth canal
« on: March 07, 2020, 01:35:32 pm »
just wondering if anyone else has ever had the same issue as me as I've never encountered it before?

I had a yearling ewe lamb the other day, she was trying for ages with no sucess so I stepped in. She was pretty dilated and reasonably roomy inside. I could feel the lamb as it was almost out. However, about three inches inside there was a very tight 'band' its hard to describe but felt like a gastric band. I could literally get two fingers through it, no more and the lamb definately wasn't comeing through on its own. I 'worked' at it for a while to see if it would slacken off and it eventially gave way with some blood. I'm not sure if it was a tear? The ewe seemed happy enough after and lamb was fine. I had exactly the same thing happen with a second yearling ewe a couple of days ago.

My initial thoughts are that it is a partially intact hymen? I used a yearling Ram and it was his first year working.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lambing problems 'band' 3 inches inside birth canal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
Ringwomb? The band that you’re feeling is the cervix not dilating properly? It can open up with some gentle manipulation but true ringwomb won’t respond to time, manipulation or calcium and needs a section.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 03:25:13 pm »
No, definatley not ringwomb, I've had that before and ringwomb is deeper, it wasn't a muscle either. This was literally 2-3 inches at the most inside the vagina. Lamb had left the womb and was right up against it. I've just googled sheep hymen and it would be in exactly in that place. I just wondering if others have ever experienced similar.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:50:38 pm by bj_cardiff »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 05:05:28 pm »
I have had that before - not many times, but when we were lambing hundreds each year there would be one maybe every two or three years.  I always assumed it was the cervix, indeed I'm sure the vet told me it was the cervix and showed me how to loosen it, just as you describe.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 08:53:07 pm »
Sounds like she has torn, give anti bs and pain relief

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS