Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New cockerel advice needed  (Read 1583 times)

Rectory Jan

• Joined Mar 2020
New cockerel advice needed
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:18:52 am »
I've just acquired Nando to look after my girls. Hes been here a week and had a bad start. The 4 hens attacked.him constantly  and wouldn't let him go.to.bed for a few days.but.now there seems to be a better situation  albeit they seem to.keep.out of his way.
He spends his day wandering the boundaries and muttering to himself..its a big pen, large enough for a.pony !
The oldest hen, Kate. Is the worst protagonist, the others are also fairly new and not laying yet. Replacements for the fox killed hens a few weeks ago.
Will he rule the roost ? I note the comments about the shy boy at school.and this is him.
Weve got 15 pheasants that spend the day on the pen as well.abd Nando was hopefully going to chase them away. Hes not bothered preferring to.keel.out of everyone's way.
Kate has stopped.laying
Worried that this is because of his.presence.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: New cockerel advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:02:17 pm »
Hi Rectory Jan;  I seem to think your post has been missed by chicken folk.  I don't know much about keeping chickens, but I had understood best to keep newcomers (cockerel or hens) separated from existing flock, but close by, for a while before mixing.  Hopefully some more knowledgeable folk will come along soon.   

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:10:01 pm »
Probably a case of ‘delayed but not cancelled’  ;)  It’s already mid-March, chances are that soon he’ll become more assertive as hormones will be going rampant. If necessary, separate your older, bossy hen for a while so he’s alone with the younger ones which are probably less assertive  ;)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:09:39 am »
I think he needs to suss his teritory out before taking control. I wouldn't be overly concerned. I assume he is a young bird? Give him a few weeks, he'll win the ladies round I'm sure :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 07:21:46 am »
It's not unusual for a cockerel to be rejected by older hens RJ- you will need to help him before he slips into 'hen mode' and looses his will to be in charge. Hens choose their cock for a reason, which may be they see him as attractive or perhaps a good guard or, even better, a food provider. We have never failed to integrate a youngster by using food treats. Feed the treats to the cockerel and he will call the hens to it. In time they will respond. Make sure you never get between him and the hens, otherwise he will think the hens are yours and will give up trying. Good luck.

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:58:55 pm »
I have known hens to kill new roosters so glad your new boy is ok.  If he is keeping to the edges he should be fine, the flock will mesh as the season goes on.

Keep an eye on your lead hen though, she will want to stay in charge so if she keeps having a go at him, give him a break and cage her up for a few days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS