Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: garlic in the polytunnel?  (Read 5669 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
garlic in the polytunnel?
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:39 am »
I'll soon have more space in the tunnel than outdoors - will garlic planted now do well in there or should it go outside? :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: garlic in the polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »
I have started garlic in 4" pots in the tunnel in some years, so you get the best of both worlds.  They can overwinter indoors and benefit from the long growing time, then you plant them out in Feb/Mar as soon as you can get onto the soil. I haven't grown them in the tunnel soil because they would still be growing when tunnel space is at a premium in spring.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:27:13 pm »
garlic needs a frost apparently. so you would be much better just to plan outside now whilst the soil is still warm

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:48:23 pm »
I plant my garlic outside in late Nov/early Dec, hoping for a good frosty spell just afterwards. The UK type garlic (of you are in Fife you are best to buy from the "Really Garlicky company" up near Inverness - seed garlic for Scottish conditions) will need a good frosting during winter and not too much wet. I have grown it outisde in heavy clay without problems for the last three years, maybe heads are not as big as the commercial ones but taste good. can't vouch for storage quality though - I never grow enough to late me beyond October... not enough space (and always thinking that it really should last longer but it never does in our house...)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 02:28:05 pm »
suspect PT might be too warm for garlic, as i too, believe that they do better with a frost/cold spell.  my garlic did really well this last year and i think it's due to the really cold winter we had.  be interesting to see if this year is the same.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:09 am »
My polytunnel is inheated.  The winter temp is about one degree higher than outside at night, so when it went down to minus 15, it was minus 14 inside. As you can see, my garlic gets plenty of frost inside the tunnel, but is protected from too much wet which is a major problem for us.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:12:41 pm »
I tried Garlic in one of those little grow houses once, it went mouldy.

This years outside crop is fantastic am just about to order for growing over winter and will try the Really Garlicky Company!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS