Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose egg incubator  (Read 2413 times)

Robb

• Joined Oct 2019
Goose egg incubator
« on: February 24, 2020, 08:03:21 pm »

Has anyone good experience with incubator that will work for goose eggs?
Will it turn the egggs automatically?

Amazon hard to judge as seems to conflate revieews for all models and descriptions very inconsistent about taking goose sized eggs
Seems to be lots of faulty incubators i dont want to have to return one to China or Hong Kong and Ebay seems downright deceptive in specifying point of origin

Thanks
Rob

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goose egg incubator
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 11:11:46 pm »
We have used our Brinsea Octagon for both hens and goose eggs, some years more successfully than others. I have done both automatic and manual egg turning for goose eggs. It isn't the actual turning that makes a difference, but the moisture. More recently we had some spectacular failures with dead-in-the-shell goslings, they drowned. Even though I ran the incubator on 30% (as in no water added during incubation) weighed  (and there were signiifcant differences of water loss in the same hatch) etc etc - we have now given up on geese (that said the last year our goose wasn't successful either, as the boy must have been shooting blanks, all eggs were infertile...).
Goose eggs are tricky...

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:53:05 am »
I have hatched goose eggs in a Brinsea, I now have an Rcom King Suro which is eggscellent, although no goose eggs in that one. The best goose hatch came from a broody Wyandotte - she was brilliant and a fantastic mum as well.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:31:48 pm »
I've found the Brinsea spares service excellent- needed to fit one of their control circuit boards into a burned-out Italian incubator and they sent me all the sizes of the alternatives. I'd advise using a surge arrestor socket.

Our Rcom King Suro worked well, but when the turning motor burned out the price of a spare was ridiculous, so the cradle was scrapped and now it is only used as a hatcher. The water pump failed as well, so I can't recommend them.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 07:36:05 pm »
I've found the Brinsea spares service excellent- needed to fit one of their control circuit boards into a burned-out Italian incubator and they sent me all the sizes of the alternatives. I'd advise using a surge arrestor socket.

Our Rcom King Suro worked well, but when the turning motor burned out the price of a spare was ridiculous, so the cradle was scrapped and now it is only used as a hatcher. The water pump failed as well, so I can't recommend them.
Defiantly for sure , we also use a small ups hooked up to a spare car battery to keep the incubator going for a few hours if the power fails

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:51:14 pm »

Has anyone good experience with incubator that will work for goose eggs?
Will it turn the egggs automatically?

Amazon hard to judge as seems to conflate revieews for all models and descriptions very inconsistent about taking goose sized eggs
Seems to be lots of faulty incubators i dont want to have to return one to China or Hong Kong and Ebay seems downright deceptive in specifying point of origin

Thanks

I've literally just come on to ask the same question!
Rob

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS