Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field too wet??  (Read 2400 times)

emrobinson

• Joined Jan 2020
Field too wet??
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:02:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm relatively new to keeping sheep and was hoping for some advice regarding the state of our grazing and welfare of the sheep.

We live in the north of Cumbria and like a lot of the country have been experiencing prolonged heavy rain which has resulted in a very wet field. We have four jacobs ewes on an acre. I am wondering how wet is too wet?! I'm worried that if I leave them out they will poach the ground so much the grass won't grow well enough for spring. I'm also concerned for the state of their feet on such wet ground. (They have been treated for fluke) . The only alternative I currently have is to keep them in a stable- would this be suitable?

Would be grateful for any advice!!

Emily.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Field too wet??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:51 am »
Hi, are there dry or well draining parts of the field that they can get to? If the field is soaking with no dry parts for them to lie down on then I would bring them in and feed them hay for a couple of days. Its hard to say witout seeing how wet the field is, but sheep don't generally churn up the ground and damage it in the same way as larger animals. Any bare patches usually repair themselves when the grass starts growing again.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:47 am »
The fields may start to look dirty from the sheep but it is only cosmetic.  I have found that bringing in to a stable to live is worse for feet than staying out but if you have the option to put them inside for a few hours overnight and out during the day they will be able to dry off without having to stand in wee soaked bedding full time.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:50:18 am »

Be careful bringing in wet sheep unless you have some where well ventilated for them as you risk pneumonia especially in warm and wet conditions. Consider a gate across the door instead of closing the solid door. Have you got good cumbrian walls for them to get up against or make a shelter. Few pallets are handy for this.

Is this your only field? Or your winter field? Is it well draining? It looks like we are in for a prolonged wet spell so if it is your only field consider splitting it so you can rotate and rest.

Obviously feeding areas and sheltering areas will poach more quickly but as bj_cardiff said bigger animals make more mess.

You are not alone with this problem and there doesn't seem to be much chance of a respite soon.

emrobinson

• Joined Jan 2020
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 08:56:57 am »
Thanks for all your replies.

The stable has gates on rather than doors so hopefully will ventilate ok.

Yes there are odd dry patches still- the field slopes so the bottom half is ankle deep in water but the top half is better but getting boggier.

It is our only field so will definitely look into splitting it to allow for rotation.

We don't have any walls but they have a good solid line if hedge and trees which they shelter under most the time.

Your advice is much appreciated.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:04:10 am »
I would just leave them out and supplement with hay. Splitting the already small field will inevitably cause even more mess and take longer to dry out in spring. If their feet start to suffer bring them in for a few days. Everyone is having problems this winter so you’re not alone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:19:47 am »
Another tactic is to feed a bit of extra hay, or even use straw, so that they don't eat all you put out.  They will lie on the surplus ;)

In spring, scrape up and compost the mat that's been made, or it will choke off new grass growth.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 11:28:46 am »
Lots of sheep in Cumbria, way too many for the buildings available... however, lots you can do to help.

Much overwintering grazing land will have a lot of rushes (called "reshes" or "theaves" up there).  The sheep use the reshes as shelter, and it's usually drier underfoot in the centre of plants so they will lie there.  I'm always telling newbies to not try to eradicate all the rushes from their pasture!!

As others have mentioned, they will use the lee of walls, and under hedges as shelter.  Lots of "folds" and "bields" in Cumbria - circular or square structures, or crosses, which mean there is shelter from every direction (except vertical - which happens rarely as it's so windy up there!  :D).  If you don't have any, you can make them using pallets and bales.  Just take care with - keep an eye on - strings / baler twine, as they will eat any hay or straw, and the pallets will move around, so loops will appear and can snare the sheep.

Best possible solution is to have some woodland you can give them access to, so they can go in and out at will. 

You can also use ark type movable shelters made from corrugated roofing and wooden cross-members.  They need to be heavy enough to stay put in wind, of course.  Move them around if they get too muddy or filthy inside.  You can use reshes cut and baled last summer as bedding in the arks.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 11:33:11 am »
But if they are literally lying in water, then yes, indoors is preferable to that, if you can offer it.  As others have said, keep it as well-ventilated as you can - they don't get cold, they come with built-in sweaters!  :D - but will appreciate being dry underfoot and respite from being rained on.

Again, best option is that they have access to the shelter and can use it at will.  If it's in or out, then keep the straw under them fresh and dry, so add a bit of fresh on top every day or three as needed.

Filthy hay is much worse for feet than dirty straw, so try to keep the amount of spilled hay to a minimum - pick it up and get rid of it, or cover it with fresh straw.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 12:05:34 pm »
I would just leave them out and supplement with hay. Splitting the already small field will inevitably cause even more mess and take longer to dry out in spring. If their feet start to suffer bring them in for a few days. Everyone is having problems this winter so you’re not alone.

I'm not suggesting it is an immediate job but an acre for four sheep IMO would be better in two halves eventually.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS