Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac and fluke treatment together  (Read 3455 times)

Advertisement

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Heptavac and fluke treatment together
« on: February 18, 2020, 08:14:36 pm »
Hi all,

Just a quick question as I'm not too sure on multiple treatments at the same time.

Our ewes were due a fluke dose a couple of weeks ago but every day we have left free to attempt it the weather has been awful.

We have to get the in this weekend for their heptavac vaccination, as it'll be 4 weeks pre-lambing it has to get done. I wondered about fluking at the same time but I thought it might be better not too inc ase it was too much in one go as the twins and triplets are getting quite heavy in lamb but I have nothing to base that on.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Heptavac and fluke treatment together
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:22:59 pm »
No problem doing together , maybe more problems not doing them if you have fluke on the farm

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:44 pm »
Crikey, twice in a week I've wanted to answer differently to shep53...   :o

If it's routine fluke prevention, probably ok (though not ideal).  If you are treating fluke, then it's pretty suboptimal, I would say.

Treating fluke is quite a hit to their systems, and Heptavac is quite a hit to their systems.  So both together is suboptimal, yes.  But it's a trade off.  If doing only one now means the other doesn't get done for a couple of weeks, probably the least worst option is to do both now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 06:51:10 am »

If it's routine fluke prevention, probably ok (though not ideal).  If you are treating fluke, then it's pretty suboptimal, I would say.

Interesting!  I get that if they already have fluke, that's a strain on their systems. However, as far as the side effects of the medicine go, what's the difference between taking it when you need it, and taking it when you don't?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:01:06 am »
At a lambing course our vets ran a couple of years ago the advice was not to treat with anything else when you vaccinatated.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:24:24 am »
But again Sally you only expanded on my post  not disagreed   :innocent: in a perfect world both would not be done together ,but you have to assume that the farm has fluke ( or why dose ?? ) and  treating late could have VERY VERY serious consequences , plus it is the right time to give the hep or else the sheep are going to be treated and handled twice in a short period .   Harmony are you sure your vet didn't mean other injections eg   for worms / fluke / footrot     ,dosing for worms when pre lambing injection has been standard advice for  as long as the clostridial vaccines have been  around   ( since the  1950's  ) . And just to expand the advice to either worm after lambing  or not worm at all is a recent  thing . 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:34:32 am »
[member=9755]shep53[/member] no, it was a specific piece about vaccination and someone asked about multiple treatments and the advice was to get the best from your vaccinations don't combine with other treatments.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 09:46:17 am »
 In the 1980's 90's they did work that said that dosing for worms at the  same time as injecting made the wormer work more efficiently , advice keeps evolving  :thumbsup:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 10:21:38 am »
My vets are happy for me to fluke and vaccinate with Heptavac P at the same time but to allow at least 2 weeks between vaccinating with Heptavac P and Footvax.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 10:28:52 am »
Having given this more thought it was not the vet who advised not treating at the same time as vaccinating but the rep from vaccination company.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »
They would because they trial their product in isolation and cannot comment

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »
If they are definitely flukey I would treat with flukicide now and vaccinate in a weeks' time - I often do my ewes only 2 to 3 weeks before the first one is due - unless you sponged you will have about three weeks lambing season anyway.
If routine, I would wait with the fluke treatment until they lambed and then do them before turnout.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 07:59:14 pm »
Thanks all!

And yes the fluke treatment is preventative - we've never had a case of fluke but I'd rather not risk it especially will all the wet weather and there is a big pond the other side of the electric fencing.

I do feel it may be too much in one go so we will vaccinate this weekend, they were sponged so know they will all be 4 weeks off lambing this weekend.

Fluke treatment can wait for a couple of weekends if not once they have lambed.

Interesting to read the comments !

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 08:12:26 pm »
Couple of points  _ if you took FEC samples and asked for fluke eggs or blood tests you may save money by not treating for fluke at all  .       Fluke at this time of the year are mostly adults so you can use a white wormer at fluke rate either before or after lambing , so only dosing once at less cost

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS