Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rooster spurs  (Read 1811 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Rooster spurs
« on: February 18, 2020, 11:09:42 am »
Anyone keep roosters for more than two years? If so do you trim the spurs? Thanks  :chook:
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Rooster spurs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »
I keep mine longer than 2 years but never trim spurs.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 12:27:48 pm »
We keep ours for a full lifespan. As they get older their spurs grow to the extent that they can impede walking and have to be trimmed- depends on breed. Our Wyandottes are fine, but Orpingtons and Leghorns are not. To trim them we use a fine toothed junior hacksaw blade and are careful not to remove much in case they bleed- difficult to stop if they do. Most we take off is 12mm, then lightly file the edges to stop them splintering.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:11 am »
Thanks twizzel - wonder if you get problems with cuts on hens sides as I have? Thanks chrismahon - I have dog nail trimmers I wonder if I could use those, yep know what you mean about avoiding the quick - I'm always very careful when I trim the dogs nails but I have made them bleed once or twice  :o

But this leads me to another issue regarding fertility - do you guys notice a marked drop-off in the rooster's fertility levels if you keep them longer than two years?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:14:47 am »
If the spurs have a sharp point its worth rounding them off to protect the hens, but most of the damage is caused by his claws so saddles for the hens may be necessary.

After two years 'apparent' fertility can drop but this can be caused by lack of mobility for the cockerel, as well as a reduced sperm count.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:26:43 pm »
As I thought Chris, many thanks

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 10:58:47 pm »
I had an yr old orpington a few years back that grew very long sharp spurs and he almost killed a hen! I just used a jnr hacksaw and cut a third off each spur (in his case othter roosters may need less, you don't want to hurt them or cause bleeding). It worked really well and he didn't mind at all (the hen recovered too!), in fact it made him more comfortable

I now do this as routine with any rooster who's spurs grow too long, which luckily isn't too often. My Wyandottes hardly have any spurs at all, which is ideal!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS