Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit tree polination guide  (Read 3889 times)

HappyHippy

Fruit tree polination guide
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:51 am »
I found it a real nightmare figuring out what tree goes best with others - LOTS of long nights spent with my head in a book  ::) Then I found this great guide on a website and thought it might save you the eyestrain and headaches I had  ;)  ;D
http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Choosing-Fruit-Trees-Pollination

Happy planting folks
Karen x

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
Re: Fruit tree polination guide
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »
Thanks Karen good information there. Am about to buy a few pear trees so thats a great help.
JD

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »
nice one, didnt have anything about grapes or peaches or Almonds though....pity

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:25 pm »
Hmmm bookmark that one me thinks haha. In regards to apples I always just thought that group C could be pollinated by all of group C, B, an A i.e. its own group and all those in the group either side so even though its a few months old thanks for posting  ;)

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 06:38:55 am »
Hi, this was really helpful, thankyou !  We were thinking of chopping one of the pear trees down (they seem to be a little too close together) but we have changed our minds now. Phew ! :)

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:37 am »

I was so glad to see a few days sunshine last week just when our apricot blossom is all fully open and looking wonderful. Hope that means there are lots of little insects flying around doing the pollinating job for me. Last year the appropriate time was very cold so we had almost no fruit from that particular tree which was disappointing as the jam is just the best! :yum:

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
that was our bad luck last yr, everything open the the late frost got them, wer lost 1000 odd almond trees to late frost, nothing past the bloom stage, this yr though there is NO signs of buds breaking never mind opening, it all seems a bit later this yr for some reason, last yr as well we where out in the fields with the animals, this yr they have not gone past the dry lot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS