Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CAMEL husbandry!  (Read 5088 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
CAMEL husbandry!
« on: April 21, 2020, 07:22:57 pm »
Has anyone ever kept camels? Or know someone?  ;D

I was watching an educational documentary about nomadic people in Turkey who are still living like centuries ago herding goats and using CAMELS for transporting their belongings instead of a van or truck. That's so cool lol

Turkey has Mediterranean climate more ir less just like spain or Italy.

There are numerous texts and pictures proving that camels have been kept and actually wiite popular in southern France, Spain, in medieval times. In Italy they were kept until 19th century in few large estates as beasts of burden!
Nowadays in Turkey they are mostly kept for tourist rides and... Camel wrestling which is really interesting!
Camel milk is supposed to be really healthy and highly nutritious (drank it couple of times actually).

I wanna have a couple of them  :innocent:
Why would I want a horse???
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: CAMEL husbandry!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:28:46 pm »
Quote  "Why would I want to have a horse???"
 ???

Why would you want 2 stubborn spitting camels?  (It would be cool though wouldn't it !?)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:32:20 pm by arobwk »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:16:44 pm »
 ???

Why would you want 2 stubborn spitting camels?  (It would be cool though wouldn't it !?)
Camel meat is quite nice not sure about horse - dont go to tesco much  :roflanim:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:53:45 am »
if you are serious about this, I think you'd be wanting a Bactrian type, for our climate! They are excellent draught animals, which is why camel-trains have been in operation across Europe even since at least Roman times.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:11:08 pm »
 ???

Camel meat is quite nice not sure about horse - dont go to tesco much  :roflanim:

Never tried the Tesco stuff but I can assure you it's very nice.......  :sofa:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:27:51 pm »
 :roflanim:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:22 am »

There is a farm on the road across from Carlisle to the North East and I'm sure they have a camel. The first time I didn't believe my eyes but then I saw it again. It is not a Llama unless it has got the hump.  :coat:

Seriously though I have seen it.

Actually now I have googled it for my sanity and yes they have camels - mainsgillfarm.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:59:41 am by harmony »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:07:10 pm »
There is a farm in Cornwall that has quite a lot of them, they breed and sell them actually. Wonder who buys them??? I read an article about someone who had some camels on a Yorkshire hill farm?
That's the cornish camel farm:
https://cornishcamels.com
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:24:28 pm by macgro7 »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 09:17:37 pm »
Oh my! Just saw that. The funny thing is I've been following those people on youtube for several years. First they had dairy goats, then they got a cow and now... a dairy camel!  :roflanim:
https://youtu.be/hhTocJN8aNA

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 03:42:38 pm »
Raw camel milk is big business. It’s supposed to heal all sorts of ills, allergies, autism, auto immune conditions, sells for about £20/litre. Think I read they need milked several times a day, not just twice.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »
In uk it would be quite hard I think. Theres one camel dairy in the whole of EU as far i i know - and it's in the Netherlands. Camels wont give milk if you seperate their calf from the mother.
I only drank UHT camel milk from the carton - not the same as fresh unfortunately  :(

P.S.
There is even a horse dairy in Germany!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS