Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 951 times)

Rod of the valley

• Joined Feb 2020
Hi.
« on: February 09, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »
Hi, I have been around rabbits for the best part of my life. My father had them before me. Initially they were kept for meat and later as show animals. Most breeds he kept were dual purpose meat/show. I have followed in this tradition, keeping and breeding rex rabbits. The fancy rabbits are generally only any good for show/pets. I currently keep and breed silver fawn rabbits which I developed myself and as such are completely new blood to a very Small gene pool. This particular colour variety are what I would class as rare/vulnerable. They are very under valued as meat rabbits. They are great if you don't have a lot of space. Manage very well on hay and dry mix. My strain average 5-6lb live weight which is what the standard requires. If anyone requires more information then please contact me. Thanks. Rod.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:02:53 pm by Rod of the valley »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:34 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave: . It's as shame that we don't make more use of rabbits for meat. Far easier to process than meat chickens for sure.

Rod of the valley

• Joined Feb 2020
Re: Hi.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:00:07 am »
I suspect in times like we are experiencing now, rabbit and quail could be very usefull meat resources for those with very limited space?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS