Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A few more sheepy questions from the novice shepherd!  (Read 4008 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
A few more sheepy questions from the novice shepherd!
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:44:40 pm »
Not many girls in our large field so our grass is almost as tall as the ewes, they don't seem to have made a dent in it. They do eat it and seem to scoff 'weeds' readily (except the patches I really want rid of). It was topped early summer and grew well so it is a grassy jungle out there. Is the grass too long for them (not much I can do about it now)?

We have had frosts (Southern UK) - so as the grass nutrient level down, I don't need to give hard feed as well do I (they have a mineral lick in their shelter)?

Also - as the field is so large, how often should I move them on into another field (which is the same size except it was topped late summer so grass not so tall)?

:sheep:   :dunce:

Thanks for the help chaps!!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: A few more sheepy questions from the novice shepherd!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:12:01 pm »
do you strip graze at all?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:33 pm »
Good question, but no, and for various reasons won't be doing so unless I can do it on a budget of practically zero!

:-\

:sheep:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:03:34 pm by OhLaLa »

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »
can you not borrow a few stakes an energizer and tape then  strip graze 10 mtrs a week or some thing if you got lots of  grass get them to eat it in small bits at a time then it will all go by the next season will how big an area have you got being grazed atm?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:02:46 am »
Yes I can do that - hadn't considered it as I thought they'd just walk right through a tape partition. Mind you, the grass is so long not sure how high the bottom tape will be, but will give it a go.

Thanks for that, appreciated.   :-*

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:12:35 pm »
Strim or scythe a line for the fence or it will earth on the grass.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:57:20 pm »
Strim or scythe a line for the fence or it will earth on the grass.
just what i was going to say or even get a lawnmower  and 1 strip then put to strands of fence that should stop them just make sure you got good leccy to it like fully charged battery

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:38 am »
Definitely electric fencing the way to go.  We find concentrating the grazing makes the grass grow back so much better too in the summer.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:26:29 am »
We do this too. We've divided our large bottom field into a series of small paddocks and move them every couple of days. It means they eat up what they've got and are so happy to move - they queue up at the gate when they see me coming!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS