Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Burrs  (Read 1978 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Burrs
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:17:57 pm »
We took our 2 dogs out for a walk on one of our normal beaches this morning - all fun and games in and out of the water chasing the ball etc etc. At the end of the walk the route took us through some overgrown brushy area and when we got back home I noticed that the dogs had picked up loads of burrs. No problem I set about disentangling them but while I was working on Yanni, Habasher must have started to try and get rid of his on his own. After a bit he came rushing back to me, in distress and exhibiting scared type behaviour - shaking, tail tucked right under and sort of continually swallowing. I couldn't find anything in his mouth but figured some warm mushy bread might help so duly gave him some, which he ate, but then he'd slink away, obviously unhappy, have a vomit, but still not be cleared. This went on for about 20 mins - I kept making sure he had some mushy/soft food so that he good have something to bring up.
He seems to be fine now (2 hours after), calm and relaxed, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this type of reaction when a dog has swallowed a burr or something?
Thanks
Tish

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Burrs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:18:07 pm »
Haven't seen this personally but sounds normal to me.  I use a hound slicker to get the damn things out as soon as possible.  I have seen one of my dogs pull them out using his front teeth only then spitting the things out.  Probably your dog swallowed one, poor thing.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS