Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs...in a Pine wood...?  (Read 3682 times)

YawningAngel

• Joined Jun 2019
Pigs...in a Pine wood...?
« on: February 08, 2020, 07:51:49 am »
Hi all,

Simple question...are there any reasons why pigs could/should not live in a pine wood...?

I'm considering acquiring a few wearers to fatten up, and I (potentially) have access to about an acre of pine woodland...

I have read a lot about how pigs like to root around in woodland, but everything I've seen is in relation to deciduous woodland, rather than pine woods.

Cheers

Paul

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Pigs...in a Pine wood...?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:59:28 am »

YawningAngel

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:30:52 am »
Thanks!...I guess I didn't search back far enough...and/or was using the wrong key-words/phrases...????

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:54:09 am »
I would imagine that there is no leaf litter, so no worms or other interesting things for them to route around in, no daylight hitting the ground so no patches of green for them to eat. I imagine they would be 'ok' but you'd need to feed them as if they were in a bare field.

Of course there is conifers and conifers, I am thinking of planted woods where they are densely planted. You could think then out a bit to give the sunlight a chance to break through and allow scrub to start growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 03:39:14 pm »
If there are larches, there will be leaf litter and bugs a-plenty!  :D. And even if all the trees are evergreen, the pine cones and so on still make quite a bit of litter - and wood ants at least seem to love the environment!

My only real qualm would be on the age and robustness of the trees.  Some pine types are rather shallowly-rooted, and if the trees are still quite young, I would expect that quite a few would be rendered vulnerable to being uprooted by winds by the pigs doing what pigs do, and exposing and chomping through surface roots.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »
Always ran the pigs in mature spruce / larch windbreaks they loved the dry ground and slept out under the trees in hollows rather than in their ark , all food taken to them as only rooted the grass areas where trees were thin .  We made an error once by putting the tamworth sows and boar into a young wood with 15 -20 ft high trees and they started rooting and made some fall over before we moved them

emilycadman1

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 05:29:40 pm »
Hi Paul,

Hope you don't mind me commenting. I'm a TV producer & I'm currently looking for somebody who hasn't kept pigs before but is planning on getting some to feature in our returning series 'Springtime on the Farm'.

Might this be of interest?

My number is 0113 204 5922 and email is emily.cadman@daisybeckstudios.com

Many thanks,

Emily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS