Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic pop hole closers  (Read 1689 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Automatic pop hole closers
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:22:20 am »
Hi.  I just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for automatic pop hole closers.  I’m looking for something with a sensor (so the hens aren’t decapitated) as well as light sensors.  There are quite a lot out there which makes choosing quite difficult.  Any suggestions? 

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: Automatic pop hole closers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 07:00:36 pm »
We have the Omlet one and they are really very good. All self-contained and no bits of string to get tangled and fail to close properly.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:29:40 pm »
We have the chicken guard ones that can work on a sensor as well as a timer, with the metal doors & sliders to go with them.

But... (big but!)... in our case, these automatic doors are used to block off the small chicken run that’s attached to the coop, the food is in that little run and by closing it off the rats can’t get to the food at night.

These small run + coops are themselves inside a very spacious fox proof enclosure, which the birds have access to from dawn until dusk.

So because the large external run is fox proof. when the automatic closers on the little runs fail, the chickens are still safe. And automatic closers c.a.n and w.i.l.l fail at some point, even if it is just because of frost or a stick being accidentally stuck at the bottom. We’ve had this happen twice.

Just fyi  :thinking:

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:31:26 pm »
Thank you Black Sheep.  I hadn’t come across that make before.  I’ll investigate

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 08:34:27 pm »
Certainly worth considering Eve.  The more sophisticated the more chance it will go wrong.  Thank you

Kittencotes

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 05:57:43 pm »
I use chicken guard premium on my coops. I have the predator proof locking doors. They can be operated by a light sensor or a timer clock. I prefer to use the clock so the last ones to bed dont get locked out. The door shuts slowly, as a motor gradually winches the door down (and up) and the doors are light weight plastic (metal ones are available) to avoid decapitation.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:44 am »
I've had one of the original chicken guard ones for 6 years and it's been brilliant. Use lithium batteries and they last a year. I've had the thread come off the spool a couple of times and had to rewind it but it's a simple job.

Just bought a new chicken guard premium for the new house I've built. They've obviously upgraded them over the years as the new one is much better built, the internals on the original were 3D printed.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 03:48:54 pm »
I've got a chicken guard one too, I had the premium one but after 5 years the screen died- non repairable. Chickenguard did give me a good % off a new one though, I opted for a basic one without the light control element as I've always just used the timer to open and shut the door. Great product, mine has shut the chickens in twice when the battery has run out but we are always around anyway to sort out any mishaps. Wouldn't be without mine now. I got the door locking kit too which is really fab.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS