Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sex change chicken? Update (with pictures)  (Read 7923 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Sex change chicken? Update (with pictures)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »
Where I used to work they sometimes turned up (Mostly in hybrids) I called them Cocka Doodle Don'ts  ;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56:30 pm »
We had a leghorn a few years ago that layed eggs and sat them , she raised 3 clutches over 2 seasons, when the last clutch where about a month old we kept hearing a muffled crow and then by chance we herd it when we where down at the hens and we couldn't mistake that it was her as she was penned up and the cockerel was nowhere near.
She did lay still but continued to crow, she never mounted any other hens and she never hatched another egg out even though she did go broody and sit her eggs
Graham

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 01:25:21 pm »
I have also read about crowing hens, mostly considered very bad luck!
One of mine mounts other hens, but I know she's still laying, and now I have cocks she's stopped all that. Interestingly, she was never that high in the pecking order either.

I'm curious as to what would happen if you added a cock to your flock..?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:25 am »
A friend of mine had a small bantam flock of hens and then one started behaving like a cockerel. When he introduced a cockerel the behaviour of the hen reverted to normal but the new cockerel completely ignored her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS