Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yet another Farrowing question  (Read 6741 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Yet another Farrowing question
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:51:06 pm »
Hi all,

Here i am bothering everyone again with yet more questions ::)

Should i separate my sow from the rest of the pigs now she is getting close to farrowing, the book says yes but i spoke to someone who says that she will be fine and that i should try to leave her alone and just keep an eye on her.

The other pigs generally leave her alone and range from 4 to 8 months old but I'm getting a bit nervy as the day draws nearer

Cheers
Rob & Manda :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Yet another Farrowing question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:16:18 pm »
Depends on what your set up is, and farrowing plans.

We take out sows out about 10 days before for a number of reasons:
1. The piglets grow significantly during this last 10 days, and we double the sows rations to accommodate for this.  If you leave with the others she will need to compete for extras.
2. You could leave her with the group providing there are enough arks for her to have hers on her own. It is quite typical for a sow to commandeer an ark, and the others stick away from her whilst she has, but obviously they need their own accommodation.  However having dedicated sole occupancy is preferable to avoid misunderstandings, so we separate.
3. If you are using most types of ark, space is very restricted.  This gives two potential problems - a) she might more easily lie on her piglets and b) if you need to get in to help out (eg pull a piglet out from under her to stop her sitting on it) you are creating a significant risk for yourself in a small ark - if she suddenly turns nasty (and newbie mums can get stressed and unpredictable by the process) you are in a small space with an unhappy pig and likely to get injured. If you have several arks, sods law is that she will choose the smallest.  If you do use arks, if you can separate her, then you can choose which ark.  If you get a choice, choose one with a back door - much easier to gently open to help out if need be, and give two entrances and options.  If you are going to breed regularly, you can make a back door in a chosen dedicated one if you separate.
4. It is easier to create a separate space for the piglets in a dedicated area (chances are the sow will choose the ark you have not prepared!).
5. You will want her farrowing ark to have a litter board (typically 6 inch high board across the entrance) to stop piglets falling out in first 24-48 hours.  Again if she is choosing her ark from several you either need to prepare all, or risk upsetting her whilst you nail one in on the ark she chooses!
6. You can create water nearer mum in a dedicated space - sows drink an amazing amount and if she has to cross a paddock to get water you increase the risk that piglet will follow her out, get lost or fall out, or even a fox take (they can with newborns).  Also mums are quite prone to not leave their newborn, so nearby water is a real benefit.
7. New mums tend to go off food or get out of phase in eating, and if in a mixed group you can't leave food for her.
8. Having a dedicated space is a real benefit for us, but will depend on your circumstances - ours is a 8*8ft 7 ft tall -so we can stand, has electricity for lighting (many give birth when it gets or is dark) and heat lamp, some rails in the corner for piglets to get under the lamp, radio, chair and book, near house so coffee is easy !!, medicines at hand (iodine for naval, purple spray etc.), space to intervene safely if needed.

Now before you panic, yes you absolutely can farrow outside in your group and chances are all will be fine - we did so in our early days when gilts (who don't show easily) decided it was time and we had not seen mating, so were guessing dates. We lost piglets, but as we were not there at the birth, never knew quite why, but half round shaped arks probably didn't help.

So the answer is yes and no - but either way you now know some things to prepare, look out for either way!

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:22:23 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »
hi we took ours in about week before farrowing.  had her in a shed in farrowing crate.  second one just 4 days before farrowing.  it was our first farrowing.  i think its more peace of mind the first time round. 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:46 pm »
why may i ask did you use a farrowing crate? Did you do that again with the second farrowing?

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »
cause did not know what to expect. heard sows get cross and sometimes eat babies. did not want that to happen. she was good mother and let her out next day still in shed though. second one just was kept in shed. she was good to. all out running mad in field now

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:46:38 am »
Are farrowing crates not banned in the UK or am I getting confused with sow stalls  ???

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:05 am »
HH, Sow stalls are banned in UK and will be in rest of Europe by end of 2012, except that most of the rest of Europe has done nothing about this, so is guaranteed to miss this deadline, so EU will extend it.

Farrowing crates are allowed under section 6(2) of schedule 8 of the Welfare of Farmed Animals Regulations 2007

6.—(1) The dimensions of any stall or pen used for holding individual pigs must be such that the internal area is not less than the square of the length of the pig, and no internal side is less than 75% of the length of the pig, the length of the pig in each case being measured from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail while it is standing with its back straight.

(2) Subparagraph (1) does not apply to a female pig for the period beginning with seven days before the predicted day of her farrowing and ending when the weaning of her piglets (including any piglets fostered by her) is complete.

Most modern commercial setups use what are called "freedom crates", which close in on the due date into a U shape around the sow (commercials will know the exact date) and opened out into a V shape a few days later to give the sow some room to manoeuvre.

We don't use crates, we had one in our very early days, but after experimenting found that we had no greater losses whether we used or not so now it sits outside so that we can show course attendees what one looks like.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:03:08 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 10:10:59 am »
Personally would separate her.  If you need to get in with her during farrowing you wont really want a lot of assistants.  Also separating mum from piglets is one thing, separating mum and half a dozen friends from piglets can be very difficult.

Good luck whatever you do.   :)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:05:33 pm »
Thanks for the responses, i did put 3 separate arks spread out in the field and she isn't favouring any in particular as yet but they do have a tendency to all use the same one so i think i will separate her and see how she goes on.

many thanks for all your help

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:45:23 pm »
Just an update,

I separated our pregnant pig Manda yesterday and this morning shes been busy collecting twigs and greenery and putting them in her arc, i cheated a bit and put some fresh straw in (couldn't see her struggle as she is hanging very very low) so hopefully it wont be too long before things start happening.
Off back to see her in a bit but i don't want to upset her by being in the way too much.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:07:00 pm »
Let us know...!

Eve  :wave:

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 07:54:07 am »
5 little piglets all look great and are up and about, Manda on the other hand looks shatterd and i don't blame her one bit
  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »
Congratulations.    :)  :)  :)  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
Great news  ;D
Congratulations

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 06:24:09 pm »
Manda on the other hand looks shatterd and i don't blame her one bit

Manda being
a) your sow?
b) your wife/significant other?
c) someone else better not mentioned :)?

Congrats
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS