Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injured Duck - Flesh Wound  (Read 2717 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Injured Duck - Flesh Wound
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:23 am »
One of our ducks was attacked by one of our Jack Russells this evening. There's a flesh tear behind the left rear leg and there's a loose flap of skin maybe 1.5 square inches which when you pull it back you can see muscle but I'm pretty sure there are no visible internal organs. The duck doesn't seem to be in too much pain, it's mobile and breathing normally, there was minimal blood loss and it doesn't seem to be flowing. I flushed the wound with cooled boiled water, packed it with a little cotton wool, wrapped it in a bandage and have now got it in the brooder with a little heat. Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I maybe attempt to suture the wound? Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Injured Duck - Flesh Wound
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:39 am »
I would remove the cotton wool - it'll stick to any blood that's left.  What I did with a chicken was put loads of savlon cream in and place the skin back up then bandage it to keep it in place. The thing to watch out for his peculiar breathing as that is shock and will kill it.  But if it's breathing normally you should be OK>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:16:29 pm »
if you dont have animal antiseptic spray, invest in a Savlon Iodine spray.  it dries the wound instantly and seals it, as well as being anitseptic
Little Blue

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »
All the other advice is good, and the duck should recover OK as long as their are not puncture wounds you cannot see.

If your dog is attacking your fowl it means it does not respect you as pack leader, or has not been told not too attack the birds or whatever. 

Animals don't regard anything as generic, ie if you bought in a new bird and didn't tell the dog to leave it alone it probably thinks it fair game.  Whenever anything new arrives on my land I show it to the dog, and point out and say THAT IT'S MINE In a very loud voice!!!

Mind you I have never kept terriers, but I know of a lovely one up at the local game farm which is dynamite with rats and rabbits but wouldn't touch a poult.

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS