Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming pigs  (Read 2377 times)

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Worming pigs
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:24:06 pm »
So my pigs have arrived into my paddock as of yesterday do I worm them now or wait a bit ? They weren't wormed before coming as they were destined for an intensive indoor pig unit. I have a tub of Flubenol oral powder will this cover everything? Or does it not cover lung worm?  I gather I need to cover lung worm, whats a good all round wormer if what I have doesn't cover lung worm please? Or should I chance it and deal with lung worm if I'm unlucky enough to get it?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Worming pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:55:19 pm »
I don't understand why they were not wormed. Did the previous owners do FEC's? Personally I wouldn't have turned out pigs onto clean ground without worming. I use the oral powder as it is easy to administer. It doesn't do lungworm. Bimectin is used for lungworm and it is an injection. Did the previous owners have or had a problem with lungworm?

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:14 am »
Like Harmony, i would have wormed the pigs first before putting them out onto any land let alone clean land. At work we used to use Panacur but we have now switched to Bimectin. Our sows get it every 21 weeks and the boars every 6 months.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:03:08 pm »
I don't understand why they were not wormed. Did the previous owners do FEC's? Personally I wouldn't have turned out pigs onto clean ground without worming. I use the oral powder as it is easy to administer. It doesn't do lungworm. Bimectin is used for lungworm and it is an injection. Did the previous owners have or had a problem with lungworm?

The truth is I'm not sure if they have been wormed or not I'm trying to find out what the situation is. Would it do any harm to just worm them now anyway?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:50:33 pm »
If you aren't sure I would do them.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:52:09 pm »
I would worm them anyway. You could contact the people you got them off but would they say yes just to let you hear what you want? I don't think it would make any difference to the pigs if you wormed them again even if they had done so. But that is a vets call if i'm honest.

But for the sake of your pigs and your land i would worm them

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »
Worming done this morning with flubenol. Its a pity this wormer doesn't cover lung worm like panacur which I gather isn't as easy to obtain now, I would think if any animal needed lungworm cover it would be pigs and I really don't fancy the prospect of trying to inject hogs to treat it, I imagine it would be quite taxing to do it. But hey ho, I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

I see the instructions say worm pigs every six months, is it normal for people to worm pigs again a few weeks or so before slaughter (assuming you fatten a pig for six months) or do people generally not bother?

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:45:57 pm »
I really don't fancy the prospect of trying to inject hogs to treat it, I imagine it would be quite taxing to do it.

Injecting a pig is easy. Put some feed down. Let them start eating and then inject 3 - 5cm behind the ear in the fleshy part of the neck.

I see the instructions say worm pigs every six months, is it normal for people to worm pigs again a few weeks or so before slaughter (assuming you fatten a pig for six months) or do people generally not bother?

Couldn't tell you about just before slaughter but just be mindful of meat withdrawal periods with any drug you administer. Information should be on the bottle/packaging.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS