Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Chicken  (Read 1983 times)

Tracey wood

• Joined Oct 2010
Poorly Chicken
« on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »
Hi, Can anyone help.  I have a dreadful pecking problem but even half bold they still seem happy and active, but one of my more healthy looking chicks has become lethargic, puffed up and appears to be drinking a lot.  I have bought both liquid and powdered poultry spice which has has little effect if any.  Any suggestions I don't think I have a mite/lice problem as I have checked and treated for this too.  :'(
Tracey

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Poorly Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »
They may have caught a cold, with the sudden frosts and now constant rain,

i have two or three showing the same symptoms, i have infact lost one, a pol maran,

It's one of these things it's better to ask no questions, and sort things out as they come, just keep doing as your doing, poultry spice etc they either will or won't pick up, of course it is frustrating, but there is very little that can be done without vets trips costing money, you could try hot mashes and put out lukewarm water, truying to raise body temp

as a precaution don't buy in/sell birds in-case it is catching, it's better to keep it contained

figers crossed for the best  :hshoe:

Tracey wood

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:32:35 pm »
Thanks I will keep a close eye on them and try some mash :wave:

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:52:25 pm »
i have a similar problem, no signs of pecking though just loosing a lot of feathers and looking scrawny, i just put it down to bad weather and moulting given some poultry spice and just keeping an eye on her

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »
Hi,
Up until about two weeks ago my 4 Orps looked dreadful - they were all moulting, looked dull & just seemed under the weather. They seem to have picked up now & although they're still looking a bit tatty (one has no tail feathers at all!), they seem to be better in themselves. :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS