Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foot / Feet Question !  (Read 2254 times)

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
Foot / Feet Question !
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:20:02 pm »
Hello All

Karen (moi wife!) has posted on here before...for me - this is my first time - so "hello all"...

Question for you....Magnus, our Shetland Ram has a split outer wall on one front and one rear hoof.  The split area is pulled back and (thinking hard how best to describe this)...looks similar in some ways to a human nail that is tugged off and hanging on by a small amount of, well, nail..... (does that make sense?)

Under supervision from our vet I trimmed his feet around 4 weeks ago..all the newly purchased ewes had nice, tidy, easy to trim back little feet...magnus needed some remedial work to re-shape and sort out.....

Now then, should I get the outer wall that is ripped cut off cleaned and sprayed ? And am I okay to leave the inner section exposed? I think I know answer...but some reassurance would be appreciated !

Thank you in advance

Simon

khajou

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Foot / Feet Question !
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:22:33 pm »
I would trim off any loose bits and then spray with an antibiotic spray. The exposed inner bit of the foot should harden - as in the case of trimming the outer wall away in the case of foot rot.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:38 pm »
One of our ewes had a similar problem recently.

We took her to the vets as we are rank amateurs and had already tried trimming and spraying for a week to no effect and she is due to go to the tup soon so we didn't want to spend too long experimenting :-))

She trimmed her foot and gave her some shots but did advise us to keep the foot as dry as possible so we kept her in for a few days..... much to her chagrin

Right as rain now.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »
..........thank you both.

Have trimmed. Sprayed. Will keep close eye on him.  Not lame at all (good start) And feet look remarkable tidy..

Like you Suzie....we are in the rank amateur club.....but learning fast and enjoying the experience (the worrying hasn't started yet!).

Magnus will be joining his six girls on the 5th November. Over the last few weeks the girls have been moved onto white clover and are looking better by the day......they have taken to running flat out whenever we go up to their field and playing lamb jumping games over the top of each other....Magnus is getting increasingly bouncy (which is my polite way for stating I think he is really horny!) and vocal - his little pen mate (Ambrose) is getting mounted and shoved around on a constant basis and will probably sigh happily when Magnus gets moved from him in a few weeks time.....

The chickens are in various stages of moult and we are keeping a close eye on the 20 that are entered for the National at the end of November.....cockerel numbers are huge here at this time of year as we select the best looking boys for next years breeding pens with the rest destined as Xmas presents to family and friends (by then they are plucked, gutted and prepped)....

Karen has just took the ducks out of the oven so I am off to eat, open a beer and prepare for another evening moaning that I can't find any TV to watch (I'm missing long summer nights already).

Sx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS