Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kicking Cow  (Read 7846 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
Kicking Cow
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:52 am »
Has anyone used a kick bar for their cows and do they work? Our present milking cow has taken to kicking out and knocking over the milk bucket.We tie her back leg up but she can still kick out. Any Ideas?

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Kicking Cow
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:15 am »
Hobble her????

We used to get cattle into the OTM Slaughterhouse still with hobbles on!!  Farmers used to asked for them back! ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »
Are you sure she doesn't have any sore bits?

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »
Ive used a kick bar in the parlour once or twice, they do work, but only in the restriction of their movment, they push into their groin and when they move their nerves get traped and hurt thus stops them wanting to  :-\. I would never; use one out of pure choice! It was a herringbone pit parlour and its better than me having a few broken ribs, I didnt use it untl i was found unconciouse on the parlour floor one morning  :-[

Honest answer? Check if she has a problem that makes her do it first and foremost, udder issue, tender etc. If not and shes just that way, sell her on and get one that dosent.

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:05 pm »
Thanks for your input. she has had a sore udder which has been treated . After reading this  don't think I will use a bar just persevere and hope she will be more tolerant.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:43:39 am »
Thanks for your input. she has had a sore udder which has been treated . After reading this  don't think I will use a bar just persevere and hope she will be more tolerant.

Hope she settles for you, Nice that your taking the patient route  ;) Just don't get hurt, it isn't worth it believe me, try a few different angle of approach for milking, from left or right.

Upsidedowns no good milk doesn't come out!  ;D ;D might help? Wish you well  :farmer: :bouquet:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »
I remember from my childhood a length of baler twine being tied fairly tightly round a kicking cow, can't think now though whether it was just in front of or just behind the udder, just behind, I think. I do know it worked though.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:44:17 pm »
We've used kicking bars on cows when multiple suckling calves with the cows in specifically designed crates - This was for the calves benefit so they didn't get hurt and so as not to put them off when they were only a matter of days/weeks old...

Obviously check for reasons for the kicking first, especially if she's not done it in the past...  And keep things calm/gentle with her to make it all a nice experience.  I'd suggest if you did choose to use one, to only use it once she starts to kick off - Put the bar on, then finish the job - She'll soon learn that she doesn't have it on if she behaves.  And a nice scoop or two of food for milking will help!!!

Tying her leg up will cause more distress and 'fight' than anything else so wouldn't do this...

Good luck and hope she settles soon for you  :)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »
My first cow hated letting her milk down and always wanted to keep it for the calf.  If she didn't kick she put her foot in the bucket.  Feed kept her occupied which helped, but I couldn't believe how quickly she could eat it.  I tried adding plenty of bran to bulk it out, but she just used to give an enormous "huff" and blow most of it away before starting to eat.

The only way I could do it was to have the large milk bucket with a cloth filter of wet muslin draped over the top and a lid over that.  Then I milked into a very small bucket, and kept transferring it to the covered container which was out of her way.  Obviously I was hand milking.  I don't think you mentioned what you were doing.

Anyway it did pretty well work - I found she mostly aimed at my hands and the bucket rather than at me.

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 08:40:48 am »
I have been tying her back leg up and she is definately getting better. I also read that it was best to ignore her rather than tell her off when she kicked. I also think this has worked. She is a very stubborn cow but I think we are winning  :cow:
PS Yes I am hand milking her.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »
Glad your getting someware, well done you for your patience  ;)  :wave:

r.ewe.sheepish

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23:44 am »

hello
     there are so many reasons as to why a cow might start kicking. It firstly depends on what breed she is we have 300 fresians and they are lovely and dosile even the 3 pet ones we have we did have a couple of contenentials in the herd and they were monkies causing strong words to be used at every milking. We always used to check for the following if cows started to pather for no apparent reason(1) check the end of the teats for something called black spot which is exactly what it says on  the tin it grows on the end of the teat blocking the teat canal thus reducing milk flow which can carry on to cause a high cell count (infection building) in the quarter a course of antibiotics is suggested
eg cepravin lc or tetra delta if you don't want to go down this route use something like aloe vera or udder mint to look out for mastitis look for warmth in the udder or swelling. these examples can all lead to cows kicking and being sods.
A friend of mine also uses a rope round the back of the cow which gets wrapped her and tightened thus clamping down on the spine this means she can't move but it doesn't hurt her
hope this helps if you need anthing else just shout          hugo

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 02:05:16 pm »
if its just handling prob, as oppsed to health prob, try what monty roberts does, tie a stuffed glove on a long pole and stroke them with that, then when they get used to that u can progress with your own hand and arm. we use that on young ponies and tried on our calves aswell. alot easier than risk of getting kicked.

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:00 pm »
Hi, sorry but I have got tired eyes and poor light but is that a dexter in your photo?
try a bit of calming music with her and keep calm yourself and she will overcome the tension of memories of a sore udder. She may just be testing you if she's dominant, as much handling as possible seeing as you are hand milking to build a trust. Sometimes a small pinch on the neck will really show who the boss is without a big fight. My vet told me this when I first brought home my dexters and one turned into a real pain. She tasted good though ..........
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS