Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Presumed pregnant ewe flirting  (Read 966 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Presumed pregnant ewe flirting
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:55 am »
Morning experts in my phone.

This is my 3rd year lambing. I have 40 ewes that have been running with our ryeland ram and a shearling beltex X. Due to a fencing disaster, our rams are currently sharing a fence line with the ewes field. Yesterday, one of my favourite girls had jumped the fence to be with the boys, and another was patrolling the fence lines with the boys showing interest. Can I presume these did not get in lamb or would the exhibit some flirty behaviours anyway? The beltex ram is not at all shy, and was seen covering all his conquests at all times of day. I have left the ewe in for now and he's not seeming bothered, so that have me hope I don't have a big issue looming!

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Presumed pregnant ewe flirting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:11:06 am »
Most likely the one that jumped the fence is cycling.  However, I have had a case in the past where a ewe who had been served 17 days earlier was definitely courting the tup - and he was responding - but she later lambed to the earlier service date.  The lambs were fine, not premature. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Presumed pregnant ewe flirting
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 02:37:40 pm »
She could of been cycling or on the other hand may of just been excited to see the ram. When I put my rams in the ewes are always interested in them, wheras they don't bother with new ewes joining them. I would go by the Rams behaviour, if a ewe was cycling in an adjacent field I think he would break down the fence to get through. The fact it was the ewe that jumped and the ram isn't interested would make me think she wasn't cycling, and neither was the ewe walking the fence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS