Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit/Nut to train/pleach  (Read 2238 times)

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
Fruit/Nut to train/pleach
« on: April 28, 2020, 07:27:57 pm »
I'm re-landscaping the entrance to my yard, and will be forming a triangular bed. The idea was basic low-maintenance shrubs, with a couple of trees at the back. But today I started thinking about adding something 'productive'.

I'll have about 7m of fencing. I thought about training hazelnuts up the fence, but I'm unsure if the quantity of nuts over that area would be worthwhile.
Another tree/shrub suggested to me was fig.

I'm reluctant to go for apples/pears/plums in that area.

Also it has to look neat.

Any suggestions? Fairly good sun, heavy clay soil.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Fruit/Nut to train/pleach
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:51:16 pm »
Training hazelnuts ? - interesting idea [member=27172]edessex[/member].  I suppose any plant can be manipulated to grow more or less as one wants, but I shall have to go away and think about/research hazelnut husbandry (pruning for fruiting etc);  I do know though that propagation is really only by layering or planting of nuts if you start with just a few plants to eventually cover your 7m. 

I'm interested to know why you're reluctant about apples/pears/plums (?). 

Re figs;  it's a thought.  I seem to think though that their root growth is best restricted for best results.  (I've been thinking about figs myself recently, but not yet done any real investigation into varieties for good UK cropping under various local climate/exposure/soil conditions.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:55:33 pm by arobwk »

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:26 pm »
I've got some old apple trees and wild plum trees, but in an area where my geese access. Over the past few years I've gained a bad allergy to wasp stings.
For some reason I don't get many wasps where the geese are. But the 'new area' is outside the front, where the geese don't access. So I'm reluctant to grow anything which might attract wasps there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:37:55 am »
How about a gooseberry bush?  Productive, and the berries of some varieties have a lovely colour.

Or quince maybe? They prefer moisture retentive soil (clay?) whereas goosies like free drainage.  Again colourful fruits, They don't need pruning each year although it's fine to do that if you want to keep them in shape, and they're usually self fertile
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »
Now I like the quince idea. I think I'll factor one in there somewhere!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:12 pm »
If it gets full sun you could train a cherry along the fence. We have successfully done that on heavy clay using "Stella" on dwarf root stock. It took about four years to spread 6 metres but looked very attractive while it was doing it.

I'm not sure how a fig would fare on clay. We have a productive one growing against the garage wall but it is on shallow poor soil due to the footings laid for the garage.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:54 pm »
Thinking out loud here, I might ignore my previous inclination to avoid fruits which may avoid wasps.

I was intending to plant a greengage and a Victoria plum elsewhere, so they are off the list for here.
But might go for a damson, or maybe a cherry.

I've got a winter flowering cherry (ornamental) and a hornbeam which were going to go in this bed, but they can go elsewhere.

So presently on the list for here is:
-blackthorn (as the site is named after them, also for the sloes)
-quince
-gooseberry
-chinese lantern
-damson
-yellow plum?
-blueberry?
-cherry?
-pomegranate 'Province'

List for elsewhere:
-greengage
-victoria plum
-hazelnut
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:49:18 am by edessex »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:50:23 pm »
Whenever folk mention blackthorn and/or damson I am inclined to mention bullace (or bullums here in Cornwall).  Much like, but rounder fruit than a damson.  Can be picked autumn for tartness like a sloe or left 'til very late autumn when, in a good ripening year, they can be very edible (and quite sweet) off the tree.

Edit:  just came across bullace and quince gin - so that's that sorted then !   :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:18:49 pm by arobwk »

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 11:48:58 pm »
I can't say I've ever heard of bullace!

I was wondering if quince would go with sloe in gin earlier though. Lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS