Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Lameness dissertation  (Read 1187 times)

Hugo

• Joined Feb 2014
Sheep Lameness dissertation
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »
Dear Sheep farmers,

Please could you spare 5 minutes to complete my dissertation survey on sheep lameness and its link to antibiotic resistance. If you could also share it with all your sheep farming friend that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance

[url]https://harper-adams.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/does-lameness-have-an-impact-on-the-development-of-antibio/url]

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep Lameness dissertation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 06:46:46 pm »
Dear Sheep farmers,

Please could you spare 5 minutes to complete my dissertation survey on sheep lameness and its link to antibiotic resistance. If you could also share it with all your sheep farming friend that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you in advance

linky

I’ve corrected the link for you in the above

I did the questionnaire but had to leave some questions unanswered.  I needed an option “depends on the circumstances” for the two questions about long or short acting antibiotics!

Also, having thought about it afterwards, I’ve realised that the questionnaire doesn’t clarify whether it means only injectable antibiotics, or includes topical antibiotics.  If the former, quite a few of my answers will not be correct as I don’t use injectable antibiotics for foot problems at all (or at least, have not needed to do so for some years.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:56:30 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 10:36:50 pm »
I’ve filled it in- whilst I do use injectable antibiotics for lameness it’s not the first line of treatment unless the lameness is severe. Generally I spray the foot with topical antibiotic spray, then inject if the animal is no better within a day or 2. As sally says the survey doesn’t differentiate between topical and injectable antibiotics.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 12:38:43 pm »
prehaps the poster can clarify whether injectable or topical or both?

I've never accociated antibiotic resistance with topical sprays and therefore I would say that lameness treated topically does not have much impact on antibiotic resistance?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS