Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile water bowser  (Read 2627 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Mobile water bowser
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:13:09 am »
Hello all. We have a mobile mini water bowser for one of our fields that we bought from a smallholder site a couple of years ago. It’s like a mini tanker on wheels with a tow bar and it has a 5 inch flexi pipe with a tap coming off it so you can manually fill buckets etc. I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to attach some sort of automatic ballcock type trough/drinker to it instead. Does anyone have a set up like this and if so what did you use. I did once see an automatic drinker attached to a water butt and I should have got some advice then but I can’t remember where that was. Thanks

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Mobile water bowser
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:00:19 pm »
You may not have enough pressure to operate a standard ball valve reliably Cambee, so an electrical float switch and pump may be a better option?

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:57:41 pm »
Ah ok there’s no electric in the field though as too far away from the house.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
Surely for a trough with a ballcock the pressure that matters is that which is generated by the buoyancy of the ball in the trough and isn't affected by the pressure coming from the head of water flowing in?

We have a small trough like that connected to a pretty sluggish flow of water from a tank that has very little head above it and it works fine. I suspect you'll just need to find an appropriate coupling that reduces the 5 inch pipe down to whatever connection the trough has. It might be easier to cap that off and put a new outlet in the bowser itself that is the right size to begin with. MDPE fittings are pretty easy to work with.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:04 pm »
I bought an automatic drinker valve off ebay. It's a self contained unit, about 6" long with a little float inside and will clip onto a bucket or trough. It works on the water pressure produced by gravity and can be attached by a hose to your water supply. It's brilliant and turns any water container into an  automatic drinker.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 07:04:47 am »
I bought an automatic drinker valve off ebay. It's a self contained unit, about 6" long with a little float inside and will clip onto a bucket or trough. It works on the water pressure produced by gravity and can be attached by a hose to your water supply. It's brilliant and turns any water container into an  automatic drinker.

That sounds just the job! Do you remember the make of it? Thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:19 pm »
I got it from Fearings.
It's called a Water valve troughmatic.
Rules are made:

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 04:47:44 am »
I used to make these for the dogs all the time albeit on a smaller scale. As long as when you have the cap on your water bowser it gives an air tight seal all you need is a hose set at the level you want the water in your drinking vessel (trough or in my case dog bowls) once the water reaches the right level it stops automatically. As soon as the water level drops through being drunk or evapouration it fills up to the correct level again automatically.

When we get some animals here this year I intend on building a larger scale one with an a IBC.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:24:28 am »
Thanks both. I’ve ordered one Landroverroy so hopefully that will work for us too

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 10:48:38 am »
I used to make these for the dogs all the time albeit on a smaller scale. As long as when you have the cap on your water bowser it gives an air tight seal all you need is a hose set at the level you want the water in your drinking vessel (trough or in my case dog bowls) once the water reaches the right level it stops automatically. As soon as the water level drops through being drunk or evapouration it fills up to the correct level again automatically.

When we get some animals here this year I intend on building a larger scale one with an a IBC.

I'd be interested to see how that goes with an IBC Kiran. Obviously with a small drinker for dogs (and those used for poultry) the gravitational force of the water is small. Where you have a ton of water in an IBC, do you think it will be sufficiently water tight not to leak? I also suspect that the shape and thin wall of the IBC will be insufficient and that even if your seals are watertight, the actual container will be implode, ie be drawn inwards by the sheer weight of water.   
Rules are made:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS