Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding pigs seaweed  (Read 2249 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Feeding pigs seaweed
« on: January 03, 2020, 07:16:31 pm »
Hi, just read a few interesting articles regarding the benefits of feeding small amounts of seaweed to pigs in particular improving gut health and helping with the effects of scouring in weaners. Has anyone tried this ? Living on the coast it’s tempting to investigate this.
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Re: Feeding pigs seaweed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 05:40:29 pm »
Further to my last post and reading up on research on the subject it would appear that feeding them seaweed as about 2% of their diet would be of benefit, if nothing else it’ll give them some essential minerals and reduce the amount of harmful bacteria in the gut. Off to pick some dulse tomorrow... ( it will of course be washed to remove as much salt as possible).

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »
I have no wisdom to offer to this but the idea of pigs grazing the beaches like the North Ronaldsay sheep would be worth seeing. Sandcastle competition perhaps?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 08:58:58 pm »
I have fed dried seaweed supplement. Recently I saw pictures of pigs on a beach in Thailand. Not sure if they eat seaweed. Can't see a problem.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:02:40 pm »
I have no wisdom to offer to this but the idea of pigs grazing the beaches like the North Ronaldsay sheep would be worth seeing. Sandcastle competition perhaps?

We’re not right on the beach but if I had a pig walking licence they’d happily follow the bucket and me. Might get a few looks from the locals who already think I’m mad as a box of frogs  :roflanim:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:00 pm »
Buggers escaped the other day.. not good news since I’d just got out of hospital two days before (my fault didn’t lock the gate properly) saw them as a spot in the distance two fields away! They came when called and followed me and my trusty feed bucket all the way home bless them.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 07:20:31 pm »
It is good to be loved. If only for the bucket of feed in your hand.

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:40:13 pm »
It is good to be loved. If only for the bucket of feed in your hand.

Sometimes, just sometimes , you can be loved too much!. Boris, my young boar who loves  a good tummy rub decided to “flump” at my feet during this yesterday pinning me between him and a concrete sandbag wall . Gentle words were needed ... like get off my bloody feet ! Or similar were used :roflanim: but I expect some of us have been there at some time to experience this????

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 06:14:18 pm »
Oh well it was worth a try. As my wife said you can take pigs to the seaweed or visa versa but you can’t make em eat it. Freshly picked seaweed was thoroughly washed and presented before their breakfast. To say it was treated with contempt is an understatement  :roflanim Tossed and trodden in the mud it was!
 Brings back memories of trying to get the kids to eat spinach and telling them it was good for them.... used to find spinach loaded tissues in their pockets when doing the washing. Ungrateful beggars! :rant: :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS