Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tips for airing out old sheds:  (Read 2638 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Tips for airing out old sheds:
« on: January 01, 2020, 04:59:12 pm »
Ok guys any tips for airing out a slightly smelly & damp old shed, it has got electrics but I want to try & get those checked because of the damp even though its not that old, we've previously used it for hatching poultry in but I'm going to be using it more for a work room so want it obviously to be a little less damp & smelly & a bit more warm, I'm tempted to paint it but I'm not sure it the paint will just peel off in a matter of months & I'm also tempted to put down old carpet for warmth but don't want the damp to affect it.

Many thanks x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Tips for airing out old sheds:
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:34:33 pm »
Has it got a proper concrete floor, and what is the roof like? How easy would it be to put in a small wood burner?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:27:56 am »
I think you won't get it dry without a damp proof course.  You can get it done by injection - don't know if it's expensive - we had it done to our stone built house 24 years ago.  Otherwise you'll be drawing up moisture from the ground no matter how much you heat it from inside.
Is the smell from the previous poultry?  Or is it a smell of damp, or something else?
You need to get some air flowing through on dry days and get rid of any mould spores - which are bad for you, especially as you will be working in there.  It sounds as if it will take a summer of through-draughts.
What state is the plaster on the walls?  Once it's dry it might be a good idea to get a coat of plaster on before you try to paint it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:29:55 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:47:56 am »
You don't say how this shed is constructed Shropshirelass, but in any case the first thing I would do is get a damp meter- they are cheap. Then set a dehumidifier running until the air humidity is down below 60%, which may take a week. Another check with the meter will tell you the source of the damp, which could be as simple as broken or blocked guttering. Walls with rising damp will need pressure injection but a concrete floor can be treated with a brush over with silicone solution and injection around the sides. Matt emulsion is porous, but if the humidity is too high or the walls are damp it simply won't dry.

Another thought. Dehumidifiers ice up below 10-15C and so won't work. You may have to put a heater in there as well?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:11:05 am by chrismahon »

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:22 am »
Is a brick shed with tile roofing & a concrete floor, I think the smell could be from the previous poultry, tbh part of the flooring does need levelling out but its my parents shed not mine, a woodburner would be great but I wouldn't be allowed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:48 am »
Without any way of heating it would be pretty damn cold from autumn through to spring I would think... I have seen pictures where people have really small stoves with the chimney going out through a window pane... but you can get oil radiators as well.

How often and how long each time would you work in it? Is it worth for you to spend possibly a significant amount of money to get it "habitable in the spending a few comfortable hours in there" state?

I don't know much about damp proofing though, just know it needs done. Putting wooden floor boards on top of some insulation panels may also help to reduce the cold from the floor, but it needs top be dry for that.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 11:52:38 am »
Assuming the roof is good, put pallets on the floor and fill it with hay and wool, with air gaps between the heaps and between the heaps and the walls.  In the middle you will have a lovely insulated working space :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:08:54 pm »
Assuming the roof is good, put pallets on the floor and fill it with hay and wool, with air gaps between the heaps and between the heaps and the walls.  In the middle you will have a lovely insulated working space :)
Provided you have enough ceiling height.   :innocent:  I would also put a sheet of thick ply over all that so you don't trip on the gaps in the pallets  :innocent:

I bought a large wooden shed for my quail and a few small garden implements,  My son had a roll of the type of insulation with silver backing, and stapled it to all the walls, and the ceiling.  Two layers of the old linoleum from the kitchen on the floor; and then carpet from the lounge when that was replaced.

We put white polystyrene panels (from the kitchen goods I bought) under the shed and sealed that with the left over bits of fence post.  There are a few gaps for air to circulate.  He also brought over a heater that runs at the same rate of a light bulb and the whole shed is definitely cosy inside.

The only actual cost was a separate consumer unit put in so that I can run any electric implements from it, and have a light on for working (LED)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:43:18 pm »
I'd probably be using it around 4-5 hours a week that's a good idea, is it worth holding off painting it until spring? Will have to have a look for some pallets & preferably some wool.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 01:05:22 pm »
Provided you have enough ceiling height.   :innocent:  I would also put a sheet of thick ply over all that so you don't trip on the gaps in the pallets  :innocent:

I didn’t mean the pallets to be where there wasn’t wool or hay on top of them, lol.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
Nor did I, but soft wool or hay on top of pallets hides the gaps between the planks.  Experience talking here - I put a tarp over one and my heel caught in it
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 06:17:57 pm »
Nor did I, but soft wool or hay on top of pallets hides the gaps between the planks.  Experience talking here - I put a tarp over one and my heel caught in it

Ah, I see now.  Heeled shoes wouldn’t have even occurred to me.  :roflanim:  Can’t remember when I last owned a pair  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS