Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is that all he wants?  (Read 5243 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Is that all he wants?
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »
We have a lovely dog. He is good natured and well behaved. He comes when called and barks when necessary.

He is house trained, fed regularly, has access to plenty of drinking water, sticks, toys, lots of exercise (he comes with me on my marathon training runs) and plenty of variety and stimulation.

I look at him and he cocks his head to one side and returns my gaze. What does he want?

I pat him and cuddle him. He rolls over for a tummy tickle, a leg tickle, an ear pull.....

Is that all he wants?

Am I missing something?

Can a dog exist solely to be patted and cuddled?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Is that all he wants?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:22:32 pm »
No, that is not all he exists for.  He exists for your love, attention, friendship - and he is receiving all of that in unmeasurable quantity.  He is a lucky lad.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:17:43 pm »
trust and security,  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:23:52 pm »
Sounds like he's got it made. He is lovely, though.  :)

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »
Just a point - Hope that's an old picture of him as a pup as he shouldn't be doing marathon training runs at too young an age as not at all good for his growing joints - You'll pay the price as he gets older.  He looks adorable though - And don't forget the training/discipline side of things - Else you'll have a spoilt child on your hands who could become troublesome...  Labs are still working dogs (obviously some lines more than others...) and need to use their brains doing things like gundog work, agility, tricks, obedience or general learning how to be 'good' dogs with your household... 

Sounds like he's landed on his feet though...  :D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »
Yes - that's a very old pic. He's one now and we go at a "senior" pace!!!

I totally agree with the other things you say though.

I don't think he is getting enough "intellectual" stimulation like training or work and he is getting a but troublesome. He has taken to butting his nose under my hand or arm. Annoying when I've got a drink in my hand. I'm sure it's just attention seeking.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:18 am »
Sounds like he needs some extra work to tax him a little.

Maybe a bit of retrieving or even some scent work. That would give him a job to do which is what dogs thrive on  :)

I'm glad he gets regular exercise, it's so important. Well done you.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:03:35 am »
Yes - that's a very old pic. He's one now and we go at a "senior" pace!!!

I totally agree with the other things you say though.

I don't think he is getting enough "intellectual" stimulation like training or work and he is getting a but troublesome. He has taken to butting his nose under my hand or arm. Annoying when I've got a drink in my hand. I'm sure it's just attention seeking.
He's a Lab isn't he  ::)  That is - A Labrador Retriever!  Ian is right he wants to retrieve I suspect!  Have a few things in your chair when you sit down with that cuppa or glass and when he comes over to nudge you throw something for him.  A Lab should instinctively bring it back and you can do that as many times as you want.  Better still go to training classes with him and work him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:35:57 pm »
Or... train him to fetch certain things - i.e. slippers, newspaper, beer from the fridge (ok maybe not!), the ball, the raggy etc so he learns object discrimination and has to use his brain... Always ensure you instigate the play/work time - Don't let him come to you and demand that you throw things, fuss him etc else he'll learn that nudging you (or pawing at you as our old family lab used to do which hurt!) gets the desired result of attention (and attention can be good or bad attention - he's just looking for attention in general - So wherever possible try and ignore the bad stuff and praise the good stuff...)

Another good thing to train is the tidying up - So you train him to pick up all his toys and put them back in a toy box or similar!  Labs should pick up these things quickly - Maybe using clicker training for shaping the desired result... Google it and you'll see some fascinating examples if you don't know what it's all about!!!  Good luck!  :wave:

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »
Or... train him to fetch certain things - i.e. slippers, newspaper, beer from the fridge (ok maybe not!), the ball, the raggy etc so he learns object discrimination and has to use his brain... Always ensure you instigate the play/work time - Don't let him come to you and demand that you throw things, fuss him etc else he'll learn that nudging you (or pawing at you as our old family lab used to do which hurt!) gets the desired result of attention (and attention can be good or bad attention - he's just looking for attention in general - So wherever possible try and ignore the bad stuff and praise the good stuff...)

Another good thing to train is the tidying up - So you train him to pick up all his toys and put them back in a toy box or similar!  Labs should pick up these things quickly - Maybe using clicker training for shaping the desired result... Google it and you'll see some fascinating examples if you don't know what it's all about!!!  Good luck!  :wave:

Good post!!

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS