Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Shetland ram  (Read 1526 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Lame Shetland ram
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:40:01 pm »
Hi,
I currently have a Shetland ram who is lame on his offside front. He has had a slight limp for a while, but recently it has got worse, he is pretty much on three legs. I have previously trimmed his foot a little (around his toe the overgrown bits) cleaned it with hibiscub and put on antibac purple spray. However it's still quite bad. I put it down to the wet weather, so yesterday I have brought him into a stable. I checked his foot this morning and it's totally dry, doesn't smell or have any obvious signs of foot rot, thrush or an abscess. There is no heat or swelling in his foot or leg either.

I really don't know what to do. Do people give sheep bute or danalon as a NSAID's? I Know it's not generally used on sheep just horses. He is a pet sheep and won't go into the food chain.

Apologies for the long post. I was hoping to try something before I call the vet out to have a look.

Not sure if I should mention his is  7 years old.

Thank you for reading.

Emily

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lame Shetland ram
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:43:29 pm »
If he’s still lame and you can’t see a reason why then it would be worth giving the vet a ring to look. This time of year scald is bad with the mud and wet which needs treating with blue spray and injectable antibiotics if it’s bad. No anti inflammatory drugs are licensed for sheep but metacam can be prescribed by the vet under the cascade system.

If you can’t see a reason why he’s lame and he is on 3 legs I’d ask the vet to look

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:07:50 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I got the vet out this afternoon and he had broken his shoulder. So had to have him pts.

Now down to one sheep, I'm worried now how he will cope. He hasn't ever been on his own. There are ewes in the neighbours field and goats next door. Any ideas how i can help him adjust?

Regards

Emily

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 02:14:08 pm »
Hi Emily.  One sheep on its own is a stressed sheep.  In fact, they say that anything less than 4 doesn’t feel like a flock to them, and they will be stressed.

So your options are three.  Get him a companion or three, find him a new home with other sheep, or the one I’m guessing you’d rather not  :'(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 11:52:19 am »
I agree with Sally - sheep really should be kept with other sheep at all times. I would get him a friend asap, or gift him away or PTS if he's an older sheep :/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS