Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do I send my GOS girls to meet their maker?  (Read 1894 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
When do I send my GOS girls to meet their maker?
« on: October 26, 2010, 07:14:44 pm »
Hello all......it's been a while since I have been on the forum........it was a traumatic day last September when I took my Tamworth and GOS boys to the slaughterhouse. They really didn't make it easy for me and I did consider becoming a vegetarian....for a bit. Fresh home reared pork was fantastic and the vegetarian bit has been shelved!

This year I have three GOS girls and they are getting quite large....DOB around March I think. Anyway, the question is, any guidance on when to send them off? I understand that there is no chance of boar taint with girls, so would like them to get larger than we did last time so we can make some nice hams and bacon..........

Any advice much appreciated........Otto...

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: When do I send my GOS girls to meet their maker?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »
I always look at their backsides / hams an envisage it "as a ham" and when it looks about big enough, or they are just so much trouble I can't take it any longer then off they go. 

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »
Our biggest boars were 7 months 2 weeks old when they went  - hit the scales at 77kg and 82kg (girth measurement approx 46 inches) Presumably gilts would be slower growing so taking them to 8 or 9 months would get them to an equivalent weight?
Tish

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:28 pm »
I'd keep them to about 10 months - though it's better to take them to the abattoir in January rather than Dece :wave:mber!

Eve

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS