Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best 4WD?  (Read 2371 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Best 4WD?
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:35:19 pm »
Looked at a Toyota Hilux today. Need to get something to tow the trailer. Ford Transit just won’t cut it! Any recommendations?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Best 4WD?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:08:37 pm »
What sort of trailer exactly are you looking to tow tommytink and at what towing weight and over what terrain ?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
So much depends on your budget and personal preferences, how big a trailer and how many seats you need. You'll get as many answers to your question as there will be people answering. I personally like my L.R Defender for towing and going on and off fields. But I also have a Freelander, which is even better off road but really  nice for driving distances. One of my sons has an Isuzu, which he bought because the price was right. You can also get 4 x 4 Transits. So much choice you really need to look at a few within your price range and decide for yourself. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 08:02:01 am »
Horses for courses , up to now its been a Mitsubishi L200 with big canopy, this morning we are looking at an Isuzu  Dmax double cab, for me its towing capacity  (min of 2700kg ) and room to take a ton of feed.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:10:48 am »
Had a Navara - won’t be doing that again. Currently on a hi-lux, very pleased with but low spec even though it’s an invincible. Amarok with 3Ltr would be next I’m thinking but not cheap........
Isuzu seem to be well thought of.
Defenders are great off road but possibly not the most comfortable on.......now becoming an overpriced cult vehicle (only jealous  :) )

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 12:44:34 pm »
Got budget around 10-12k. For towing an Ifor Williams TA510, either 10 or 12 ft, I can’t recall which. So not much off road/over field work, just better towing up and down hills on the roads etc.
Father in law had a Nissan and nothing but trouble with it.
Like VWs but only seeing 2 litre Amaroks around.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 12:49:55 pm »
Look at wha weightt the trailer is plated at and that will dictate what truck you need to tow it. I think it'll probably be 3.5t so you'd technically need a truck capable of towing 3.5tonne (and be careful as not all of them are).

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 01:23:16 pm »
No longer sold new in this country but a Mitibishi Shogun would suit you fine.  The long wheelbase one will tow 3.5 tonnes and the short wheelbase 3 tonnes but the latter is short on inside boot space unless you get the commercial ones without the rear seats.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 06:17:53 pm »
Well we looked at a Isuzu Dmax, has 3500kg tow capacity, room enough in the back for 1 tonne of feed.
I found it a smoother and quieter ride than the L200 ( poverty spec ) and of course it has bells whistles and aircon.
Full service history, remainder of warranty ,spoke to the one previous owner who confirmed every thing about the truck.
I was even happier with the dealer who after we negotiated the price comfortably downward will mount 4 new tyres , service it and give it its first MOT.
Delivery at the beginning of January, the only down side , need a cushion for Mrs RTB , unless the seat height adjustment has sufficient elevation !!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »
Perhaps I've missed something, but I'm none the wiser so far - required max' gross tow weight would be ... ?

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 09:14:16 am »
If you want to cross the desert use a Land Rover, if you want to come back use a Land Cruiser.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS